Mt. Margaret Backcountry in full bloom

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mrblisterdundee

Mt. Margaret Backcountry in full bloom

Post by mrblisterdundee » July 17th, 2017, 10:06 am

I stopped by Mount St. Helens Saturday to see what the conditions were on the Boundary Trail and in the Mount Margaret Backcountry. I'm happy to report it's fully accessible and in full bloom.
I started at South Coldwater Lake and hiked northeast up Coldwater Ridge, passing by some trail work crews from the Washington Trails Association clearing out underbrush. After passing by the crews and their temporary home at Ridge Camp, I turned east onto South Coldwater Trail 230A and connected to the Boundary Trail. Just before connecting to the Boundary Trail, you hike along the backside of Coldwater Peak, which towers above like a pyramid.
Coldwater Peak 2.jpg
There's a little bit of snow at the junction of the South Coldwater and Boundary trails, but not much on the trails themselves.
Coldwater Peak 3.jpg
I turned north on the Boundary Trail and continued another 1/2 mile or so before reaching the cutoff to the 3/4 mile zigzag up Coldwater Peak.
Coldwater Peak 4.jpg
The panoramas become spectacular as you climb upward.
Coldwater peak 11.jpg
With few trees blocking views, you can see the Boundary Trail as it weaves along the ridges.
Coldwater Peak 6.jpg
From the top of Coldwater Peak, you can see Rainier to the north, Adams to the east and St. Helens and Hood to the south.
Coldwater Peak 7.jpg
... and a menagerie of wildflowers.
Coldwater Peak 8.jpg
And with flowers come butterflies. Hidden among the landscape is also some abandoned logging equipment from before Mount St. Helens' 1980 eruption.
Coldwater Peak 9.jpg
You get a nice view of Coldwater Lake during the home stretch coming down Coldwater Ridge. Hit it in the morning for better lighting.
Coldwater Peak 10.jpg
All and all, the hike's 14 miles round trip with about 3,400 feet of elevation gain.
Coldwater Peak 1.jpg

justpeachy

Re: Mt. Margaret Backcountry in full bloom

Post by justpeachy » July 18th, 2017, 11:48 am

Nice! How were the mosquitoes?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 19th, 2017, 4:51 am

In spite of how amazing the topography and scenery are up there, I'd still be super excited about finding the abandoned logging equipment. :lol: I know, I'm weird.

Peder

Post by Peder » July 19th, 2017, 5:12 am

Lovely, one of my favorite hikes!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…