Devil's Peak from Cool Creek - June 22 2017

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
f1209

Devil's Peak from Cool Creek - June 22 2017

Post by f1209 » June 26th, 2017, 7:27 pm

After introducing myself, I thought it's about time I made a contribution to the Trip Reports. My first summer hike was a big one. It's been on my radar forever. It's the ascent to Devil's Peak Fire Lookout from the Cool Creek Trailhead in the Salmon Huckleberry Wilderness.

Distance: 7.1 Miles
Elevation: 3,127'
Duration: 5 hrs
Other Hikers: None

The trail starts on Still Creek Rd - about 3 miles from Hwy 26. The trailhead itself is subtle - there are two turnouts before it that I thought were it.

It starts going up straightaway - there is a blank Wildnerness Board right after the trailhead.

And then, I went up. After about a mile, I got my first view of Mt Hood, and rhododendrons. The pink made a nice splash of color among the green.

The first mile felt like the steepest part of the trail. The second mile, although still going up, had a little more level sections and undulations to take some of the pressure off. I crossed a stream at one point.

The third mile had quite a few blow-downs, and a little scrambling over (and under) fallen trees was necessary.

Just before the end of the third mile, I encountered a little snow. Nothing major, and easy to walk on. I would expect it is all gone now, after the weekend heat we just had.

I was expecting the junction with Trail 793 at this point, and got just a tad confused at a path off to the left. So I followed it up onto a rocky outcrop, and was rewarded with a spectacular view of Hood.

I sat on the outcrop to photograph the flowers, but changed my mind when I noticed all the red ants under me.

Instead, I went higher up onto the outcrop, and, wow. I hadn't been expecting this:

Helen's, Adams, Rainier and Hood all laid out before me, with the forest spreading out below. Absolutely amazing view.

I would have been happy for this to be my endpoint, but the final goal was still ahead.

Shortly after, I met the junction with Trail 793, and turned right. A few hundred yards later...

The path was left and uphill, across a few more blow-downs for good measure, and finally:

Devil's Peak Fire Lookout

I was the only one here, so I explored the Lookout. Jefferson and the Sisters were visible to the South. Hood and St Helens were visible through the trees.

The Lookout was pretty well kept. I might have to make some new laminated signs for it though, the text on 'instructions/requests' was very faded.

I got to do THAT SHOT

I stayed around for a while, had snacks and drinks. I had to head down sooner than I would have liked as I had to get to work.

The descent was.. ok. My toes in my hiking shoes hurt a little more than I expected. My knees were ok.

But by later afternoon, every muscle ached. And the next day too. It was probably a little much for a first season hike. But, it was awesome. Probably one of my favorite hikes I've done. I will return when the huckleberries are out.

The ascent looked like this:

Sorry if there's too many pictures. I tend to take a lot on my hikes. Some are DSLR, some are cellphone.

Webfoot

Re: Devil's Peak from Cool Creek - June 22 2017

Post by Webfoot » June 26th, 2017, 10:51 pm

The pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them, and no there are not too many as far as I'm concerned. :)

Could you provide the coordinates for the rocky outcrop with the panoramic view? I did Devil's Peak Lookout from Kinzel Lake and I was a little disappointed with the view from the lookout itself, as the trees had clearly grown since old photos were taken.
Last edited by Webfoot on June 27th, 2017, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 27th, 2017, 4:59 am

welcome, nice report, that's a nice hike, I stayed overnight at the lookout once

yeah, those obnoxious trees are growing up and blocking the view :twisted:

f1209

Post by f1209 » June 27th, 2017, 10:54 am

Webfoot wrote:The pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them, and no there are not too many as far as I'm concerned. :)

Could you provide the coordinates for the rocky outcrop with the panoramic view? I did Devil's Peak Lookout from Kinzel Lake and I was a little disappointed with the view from the lookout itself, and the trees had clearly grown since old photos were taken.
Thank you. I made a waypoint on my AllTrails app, and it says the coordinates are: 45.26894, -121.87480

It's probably less than 1/2 mile down from the lookout itself.

In the trail image, it's the second circle from the bottom.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » June 27th, 2017, 10:58 am

Thanks for the trip report. I was planning on heading up there soon, and it's always helpful to have current info on conditions.

Never too many pictures.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » June 27th, 2017, 11:29 am

A really nice report.
I did that peak from the south on the Hunchback Trail, when you could still get to the TH's (a few years back......). As I recall, it was pretty overcast, so we didn't get the views that you got.
I also don't recall the cabin being equipped the way your pictures showed it. Do you think it is still in service?
Sounds like this would make a great conditioning hike, with a nice reward!
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

hiker39

Post by hiker39 » June 29th, 2017, 3:50 pm

One of my Favorites, spend the night if you have a chance. If you have the time a loop hike starting at Salmon river trail via Kinzel lake coming out at green canyon trailhead is another fun option. The green canyon approach is also fun but steeper IMO. The back road to Kinzel lake is the shortest way to hit the lookout, but be prepared for a long bumpy drive in. And here's a hidden gem for those who don't know... If you take the back road to Kinzel lake... Just before you get to the lake there is a junction where you take a left turn and head downhill about a quarter mile to Kinzel lake. If you go straight you hit the trail head to the fire lookout. While at the junction look to your right and there's a steep trail heading uphill about 50ft, scramble up the 50 ft and hike the abandoned ATV track/road about 1.5 to 2 miles to the top - I promise you won't be disappointed - bring your tent and spend the night.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » July 14th, 2017, 2:55 pm

FYI: all of these images are now broken (for me), replaced with a graphic that reads "please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting" and "100% 3rd party hosting usage."

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » July 14th, 2017, 5:20 pm

Yep, photobucket is basically blackmailing their users:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919 ... aid-update
Thousands of listings from online marketplaces like Amazon and eBay are now filled with unsightly error images by Photobucket after the photo hosting site quietly introduced a $399 annual fee to users who want to embed images on third party websites. Users are now accusing Photobucket of extortion, as the service failed to make the update to its terms of service abundantly clear.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » July 14th, 2017, 5:52 pm

Nuts to that! Sorry, I didn't realize. It appears that the images are still accessible directly from photobucket.com so I think a well written userscript could fix this.