PCT from Dee Wright to Opie Dilldock Pass

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mrblisterdundee

PCT from Dee Wright to Opie Dilldock Pass

Post by mrblisterdundee » July 12th, 2017, 4:02 pm

After a couple days at the Oregon Country Fair, I took off to the Three Sisters Wilderness for some alone time. The Pacific Crest Trail crosses Oregon Highway 242 on McKenzie Pass about 1/2 mile west of the Dee Wright Observatory, a cool stone hut looking out over the Three Sisters to the south and Mt. Washington, Three-Fingered Jack, Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams to the north.
I took off south through the lava fields. The first exceptional landmark was South Matthieu Lake, a beautiful alpine pool beneath the gaze of North Sister.
Untitled_HDR2.jpg
The trail climbs along the western face of the sisters, providing a clear view of all the major Oregon Cascade mountains to the north.
Untitled_Panorama6.jpg
After Scott Pass, the trail started to become interspersed with large snowdrifts.
IMG_0106.jpg
I managed to lose the trail on one of these snow drifts. While descending a hillside of loose pumice and lava rock, I mistakenly stepped on a rock that wasn't planted in the ground. Down the hill I fell, tweaking my right ankle and cutting open a couple fingers and parts of my hand on the jagged rocks.
IMG_0073.jpg
Eventually, you reach a quaint meadow, also beneath North Sister.
IMG_0070.jpg
I stopped at Opie Dilldock Pass, with some pretty good views of the North and Middle sisters, before heading back.
Untitled_Panorama5.jpg
All in all, I think I got 15 to 16 miles in before getting back to Dee Wright Observatory in time to catch the sunset over Three Sisters.
Three Sisters sunset.jpg
Three Sisters western approach.jpg

retired jerry

Re: PCT from Dee Wright to Opie Dilldock Pass

Post by retired jerry » July 12th, 2017, 4:32 pm

too bad about your fingers :(

if you went that far, then the rest of the PCT would be doable, although the snow does get a little worse after that

WiredHiker

Post by WiredHiker » July 13th, 2017, 7:07 am

Curious about the bugs.

gratefultrails

Post by gratefultrails » July 13th, 2017, 11:04 am

Thanks for the snow report! Country Fair was a hoot this year!!

mrblisterdundee

Post by mrblisterdundee » July 14th, 2017, 8:23 pm

WiredHiker wrote:Curious about the bugs.
I got eaten alive anywhere there had been standing water.