Roaring River Backpack

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
scott_willson

Roaring River Backpack

Post by scott_willson » July 9th, 2017, 6:20 pm

I did a two-night backpack July 7-9. I took the Dry Ridge Trail from the Roaring River Campground to the Grouse Point Trail, overnighted at Serene Lake, took the Grouse Point Trail back down to the Roaring River and reversed back up over the ridge to the campground.

The trails are well-described in the field guide and trip reports here. I'll reinforce that Grouse Point Trail #517 down to the Roaring River is long, steep, and difficult to follow.

My motivation for another trip report: mosquitoes! They were terrible at Serene Lake. In fact, they were terrible for 1-2 miles before the lake—like they had billowed up out of the basin onto the ridge. The lake was nice for swimming at least.

Typical (well flattish) #517

See, the trail (in the middle of the photo) is blazed. No problem.

The only time I had cell reception was when I dropped into the steep-walled Roaring River canyon. I guess the ridge to the northwest is lower? My other mystery is that the faint trail becomes very well-traveled in the last 0.3 miles down to the river. There is also one distinct split towards the river and away from the ford. A lot of it sure looked like elk and deer, but why is this part an elk superhighway? Maybe hunters cross from the other side and get about this far up?

The Roaring River near my campsite downstream of the ford and the falls

But check it out in winter when people run the river! http://www.oregonkayaking.net/rivers/up ... aring.html

RobFromRedland

Re: Roaring River Backpack

Post by RobFromRedland » July 9th, 2017, 7:45 pm

Cool trip!

Yeah, Grouse Point going down to the Roaring River is pretty faint - especially on the east side of the river. There is a cool waterfall (perrywinkle falls) about 1/4 mile upstream from the crossing (did you go see it? - it is worth the bushwhack) which might be were some of the traffic comes from - they start up the other side and give up maybe? Although it isn't all that less faint on the east side, either. The trail doesn't get a lot of traffic in that area due to its remoteness and difficulty. But it is one of the few ways to get into the heart of the roaring river wilderness - and it gets REALLY wild in there too.

I'm curious how the Grouse Point trail was near Grouse Point? Last time I was up there (several years ago now), it was getting rather brushed in with rhodies. Wonder if there has been any work done to cut that part of the trail out. Someday I want to actually go find the real Grouse Point.

The mosquitoes at Serene Lake are legendary in early summer. I camped there many years ago in July and the air was literally black with them. Cache Meadow was even worse than Serene lake if you can believe it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

scott_willson

Post by scott_willson » July 10th, 2017, 6:55 am

Thanks, Rob.

It's embarrassing, but I didn't make it to the falls. I forgot to save the description to my phone and didn't want to cluelessly bushwhack solo that far from anything.

The Grouse Point trail is good shape, generally. Down low, there are a couple big blowdowns and the trail could use some regrading, but up high there's only small-width blowdown. The rhodies, however, do nearly cover the trail for ~1 mile near Grouse Point. In fact, I couldn't find a use trail to the point, though it was easy to pop out for views. Definitely want to make noise through there so that the critters know you're coming!

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » July 11th, 2017, 5:21 am

Better to be safe than sorry. But it is a relatively easy bushwhack upstream from the crossing. Maybe 1/4 mile or so from the crossing point. It is relatively easy to walk along the bank and the river widens at the base of the falls.

Here is a photo of the falls with our very own Pablo wading in front of them:

And the cool sign near the falls:

Too bad about the rhodies. I want to get back up there soon, so I'll have to make a point of doing some brushing while I'm there. Maybe I'll visit Grouse Point proper too. I guess there was a lookout or structure or something there way back when. Beautiful view from there, though!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 11th, 2017, 11:51 am

My idea for a loop. This would probably be WAY more of an adventure than your typical weekend outing. That said, I'd be willing to give it a try!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » July 11th, 2017, 4:05 pm

That is some loop. You might ask Pablo about this big loop - part of it was up that hillside below the old Indian Ridge lookout location.

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 12th, 2017, 10:19 am

Yes I believe we conversed about it on that thread he posted. My loop is about 30 miles. Probably parts that haven't been walked on in years!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider