Timberline Loop Trail #600 7-3 through 7-6

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jules167

Re: Timberline Loop Trail #600 7-3 through 7-6

Post by Jules167 » July 14th, 2017, 10:15 am

Thanks for the info. I am planning on doing this loop starting on July 27th. Is it reasonable to expect to be able to follow the trail by then without GPS? I will be hiking alone unless anyone is looking for a partner during that time period.
Thanks

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 14th, 2017, 11:08 am

If you had map and were good with it? If you're already familiar with the route?

There's an accurate map in the field guide from last year including new Eliot crossing (except that should not be snow covered).

Whitelegs&Redneck

Post by Whitelegs&Redneck » July 16th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Jules167 wrote:Thanks for the info. I am planning on doing this loop starting on July 27th. Is it reasonable to expect to be able to follow the trail by then without GPS? I will be hiking alone unless anyone is looking for a partner during that time period.
Thanks
I've got a group of 3 planning to do the loop on the 27-29- as long as snow clears up a bit more. We will be heading clockwise from the lodge.

whisperinggiraffe

Post by whisperinggiraffe » July 17th, 2017, 11:38 am

Whitelegs&Redneck wrote:
Jules167 wrote:Thanks for the info. I am planning on doing this loop starting on July 27th. Is it reasonable to expect to be able to follow the trail by then without GPS? I will be hiking alone unless anyone is looking for a partner during that time period.
Thanks
I've got a group of 3 planning to do the loop on the 27-29- as long as snow clears up a bit more. We will be heading clockwise from the lodge.
We just finished yesterday and did it in 3 days and would say GPS is only needed above the Cooper Spur as there is some snowfields across the trail and alternate routes that people have made. Snow wasn't an issue.

vienturia

Post by vienturia » July 17th, 2017, 5:12 pm

Excellent; thanks for the info. Will be starting up there in a few days & plan to take our time.
- Lindsay

buckwheat

Post by buckwheat » July 19th, 2017, 5:10 am

I'm hoping to do the timberline trail this weekend (Sat/Sun). I'll camp near Timberline lodge with a friend on Friday Night, then leave her about 4:30 am to get an early go of it.

It sounded like from your post that things are pretty well melting/melted out, and there won't be a ton of snow to impede progress. Especially as I'm going 2 1/2 weeks after you. What was the deepest snow you found? Was there any need for ice axe/crampons on any of the trail? I'm planning on just taking my trail runners, but if its still quite wintery, I may reconsider.

The Elliot Crossing was parked as completed by the FS, was the new trail easy to find/follow? Or did it look like the ropes were still the name of the game?

Was there anything else about the trail that I should know to be prepared for that might throw a wrench in my plan to do this as a 2 day trek?

Did you have a physical map too, or just your GPS tracker? I'll admit I'm a bit of a traditionalist and don't have a GPS unit yet (besides my phone), so I prefer maps, and was going to pick one up from REI or the local store if I can after work today, but if the trail has been rerouted a few times, and the map I get from 5 years ago, it might be confusing. Was yours up to date?

Thanks for all the time and information. And I'll be sure to post a trip report when I get back so we can compare notes.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 19th, 2017, 6:33 am

The new Eliot trail is easy to follow. Much better than any of the old crossings.

With the new crossing, from Cloud Cap, you lose 500 feet elevation, then gain 600 - 1.4 mile.

With the ropes from Cloud Cap you gain 200 feet, then lose 100, then gain 200, then lose 200, 0.6 miles - so 100 feet less elevation gain, 0.8 miles shorter, but it's more difficult, harder to find route.

If you're going around mountain and don't stop at Cloud Cap, the ropes are a little better than that. Like if you cross over to the moraine at the shelter and go down it, and then cross over directly to the ropes. You'll probably save 500 feet elevation gain and 1 mile. If you're into a bit of adventure...

texasbb

Post by texasbb » July 20th, 2017, 6:22 am

vienturia wrote:Excellent; thanks for the info. Will be starting up there in a few days & plan to take our time.
Ditto on the info. I'm seriously considering switching my plans from the southern Wallowas to Timberline next week to avoid the possibility of dicey high passes. I'm hoping the screeching glacial streams will be less dangerous and the predators less numerous. :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 20th, 2017, 6:32 am

For people with an open schedule, september is the best time to do Timberline loop. You can cross streams without getting your feet wet. Unless there are several days of hard rain in which case it can be dangerous.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » July 20th, 2017, 7:35 am

retired jerry wrote:For people with an open schedule, september is the best time to do Timberline loop. You can cross streams without getting your feet wet. Unless there are several days of hard rain in which case it can be dangerous.
Yes, we can see your screen name; must you rub it in? :lol: