Timberline Loop Trail #600 7-3 through 7-6

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Re: Timberline Loop Trail #600 7-3 through 7-6

Post by retired jerry » July 20th, 2017, 7:54 am

sorry :)

Late August would be pretty good. Labor Day weekend...

vienturia

Post by vienturia » July 25th, 2017, 6:40 am

It was amazing. The most snow we saw last weekend was in fields with well-defined paths crossing on the level. No need for ice axe, crampons, or even a second (foam) sleeping pad if you're sleeping out.

Do be extremely judicious or avoid crossing water on snow bridges entirely, as we avoided one that looked "solid" only to see that there was at best 2 inches under the center part of the path. Trail runners will be fine if you're ok with them getting soaked wet in a few places...

We used the Green Trail Maps Mt Hood map 4625 - it was perfect for the loop. My copy was from 2010 & it was fine everywhere except the Eliot. New Eliot crossing is fine & very easy to follow - just longer than shown on any maps (I saw) - someone mentioned 500 down & up, tight switchbacks, & when we were there the lowest point was maybe 2ft of fast water in the middle. Saw someone in trail runners try to do it without getting wet, only to land thigh-high on a missed jump.

Most significant blowdown was the Paradise Park area - not really a problem, just an obstacle course. Most significant trail damage was the northwest side south of Muddy Fork, where parts of the trail are sliding down the slope - nothing too treacherous, but worth being aware of, as it'll take a bit longer.

Wildflowers on the north side were amazing. I'm not usually too blown away by flowers, but the contrast of the burned, sun-bleached trees against the carpets of flowers was pretty breathtaking.

Have fun! I may post a more complete trail report once I've downloaded my photos.

buckwheat wrote:I'm hoping to do the timberline trail this weekend (Sat/Sun). I'll camp near Timberline lodge with a friend on Friday Night, then leave her about 4:30 am to get an early go of it.

It sounded like from your post that things are pretty well melting/melted out, and there won't be a ton of snow to impede progress. Especially as I'm going 2 1/2 weeks after you. What was the deepest snow you found? Was there any need for ice axe/crampons on any of the trail? I'm planning on just taking my trail runners, but if its still quite wintery, I may reconsider.

The Elliot Crossing was parked as completed by the FS, was the new trail easy to find/follow? Or did it look like the ropes were still the name of the game?

Was there anything else about the trail that I should know to be prepared for that might throw a wrench in my plan to do this as a 2 day trek?

Did you have a physical map too, or just your GPS tracker? I'll admit I'm a bit of a traditionalist and don't have a GPS unit yet (besides my phone), so I prefer maps, and was going to pick one up from REI or the local store if I can after work today, but if the trail has been rerouted a few times, and the map I get from 5 years ago, it might be confusing. Was yours up to date?

Thanks for all the time and information. And I'll be sure to post a trip report when I get back so we can compare notes.
- Lindsay

AaniishEpiichaak

Post by AaniishEpiichaak » August 8th, 2017, 11:35 am

Thanks again for all encouragements, and I'm sad to hear they lost a group, I didn't know. But then I only just herd about uli.off to the happy hunting ground I guess. And yes photos would be great, I even did a screens shot then edit to get like 200 X 300 or something still not showing. ..
Will continue to try, the photo of where I crossed the elliot is very clear, and I think the "safest", if it is still there.
Maybe I will post them on some other forum where they show up, this is the only place they dont. , then come back and tell you where to see them, here they disappear. It acts like it accepts them then the screen flashes then they are gone. . .
Oh well... and hmmmm

AaniishEpiichaak

Post by AaniishEpiichaak » August 8th, 2017, 11:38 am

Thays great, so like 2 weeks after there was no tracks at all there was defined course, great news thanks!