Vista Ridge

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Webfoot

Vista Ridge

Post by Webfoot » June 23rd, 2017, 11:07 pm

The lilies on Vista Ridge are reaching full bloom. The trail gets into snow after only about a mile and a half, and there are lower patches that are not yet blooming so it should only get better for a while, but the ridge from trail mile 1.0 to 1.5 already looks great.

I advise those heading here from highway 26 to consider using the the old 18 north under the power lines (straight and left from Lolo Pass proper), rather than the new 1810 southern bypass. There are three ditches that will require careful navigation in a low clearance vehicle but otherwise this road is in better condition than the southern route, which has many bad potholes. And of course it is shorter.
12857.jpg
Last edited by Webfoot on June 24th, 2017, 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Runnerinblack

Re: Vista Ridge

Post by Runnerinblack » June 23rd, 2017, 11:21 pm

One of my favorite trails~ thank you for the update!

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » June 24th, 2017, 6:49 am

Thanks for the road update too. It's always nice when the shortcut is in decent shape. There's nothing more frustrating than going the long way and seeing traffic far across the valley using it....
Though sometimes it still seems easier just using the freeway and going via that first Hood River exit. It definitely is longer but sure doesn't seem to take that much longer.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 24th, 2017, 10:51 am

Webfoot wrote:I advise those heading here from highway 26 to consider using the the old 18 north under the power lines (straight and left from Lolo Pass proper), rather than the new 1810 southern bypass. There are three ditches that will require careful navigation in a low clearance vehicle but otherwise this road is in better condition than the southern route, which has many bad potholes. And of course it is shorter.[/attachment]
Wow, really? Have they worked on improving that that road to the north? I thought it was super rough and to be avoided at all costs. Are the ditches on 1810 new since last year? I don't remember ditches last summer.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 24th, 2017, 6:39 pm

The three ditches are on the old / northern / powerline route, not the 1810 / south route. I was surprised to find that in general the northern route is in better condition with exception of those ditches.

The first of the ditches is literally a couple hundred yards from the end of the pavement and will give you a sense of whether you want to continue or not. The third ditch (an erosion channel) is a little worse than the first. I would carry a shovel and a board to lay down if driving a passenger car, just in case. Still I would prefer that to the potholes on 1810 / south, but to each his own. If you try the north route and feel I gave bad advice please let me know.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » June 26th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Did you head down at all towards Eden Park or happen to notice the conditions at the junction?
Thx... :)

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 26th, 2017, 12:57 pm

I didn't get anywhere near that junction. Significant snow started at the depression between ridges at 45.4257, -121.7221, and above that the lilies that were visible between patches of snow were not yet blooming, so I didn't continue. The Eden Park junction is about a mile further along the ridge.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » June 26th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Webfoot wrote:I didn't get anywhere near that junction. Significant snow started at the depression between ridges at 45.4257, -121.7221, and above that the lilies that were visible between patches of snow were not yet blooming, so I didn't continue. The Eden Park junction is about a mile further along the ridge.
Thanx... :)
That's great to know. Maybe I'll wait another week. I don't mind not doing the whole loop but in the past there's still been plenty of lilies when you could get to Eden Park even if no further. That last 1/4 mile or so before the creek crossing gets tricky if there's still too much snow.
Plan B is a much shorter drive anyway....

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 26th, 2017, 1:55 pm

that would be about 5100 feet elevation

acouzens

Post by acouzens » June 29th, 2017, 6:12 am

Beautiful photo. I"ve seen a few folks on the Oregon Wildflowers facebook page make the trip recently too. I was hoping to go this Sunday but have never been and wanted to clarify that the easiest route is the Hood River one? We have a Civic so try to avoid the roads that are too rough. Also, given the snow levels are you saying you can only go about a mile in before it's still too deep to continue? Thanks for any input.