Shellrock Lake-Frazier Turnaround | Roaring R. Wilderness

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Naturebat

Shellrock Lake-Frazier Turnaround | Roaring R. Wilderness

Post by Naturebat » June 22nd, 2017, 11:49 am

Snow and blowdowns update for the Shellrock Lake-Frazier Turnaround area (start of the Serene Lake-Rock Lakes Basin loop) in the Roaring River Wilderness.

Opening Photo:
Mount Jefferson from a rocky outcropping near Frazier Turnaround

Over this last week, we backpacked up the Shellrock Lake Trail from Hideaway Lake to the (abandoned) Frazier Turnaround campground. We wanted to head up into the higher elevations, but we came expecting significant snow and blowdowns. It was a beautiful and fun hike.

Brief Report:
-Snow and blowdowns between Hideaway Lake and the Shellrock Lake Trailhead. (3ft. deep.) May be melted out by now(?).
-No snow and no blowdowns all the way up to Shellrock Lake (very crowded).
-Tons of major blowdowns and deep snow most of the way up to the Grouse Point Trail. (up to 4 feet deep on average, sometimes 5 ft. in drifts.) Trail 100% covered about halfway up from Shellrock Lake to the turnaround, and impossible to routefind without GPS and/or map and compass.
-Little snow along the Grouse Pt. Trail (approx. 3 ft.), and little snow at the Frazier Turnaround. (4 ft. deep drifts along the Frazier Mountain approach road, but thins out to almost nothing a short distance from the Frazier Fork CG.)
-Similar snowdrifts on the north side on the way to Serene Lake from Frazier Fork, it seemed. We didn't head down there.

Our Route

Full Trip Report:

We started from the Hideaway Lake Campground and began hiking on the (unsigned) Hideaway Loop Trail and Shellrock Lake Trail #700 to meet up with the Shellrock Lake Trailhead on FR 5830.
(Note, the campground trailhead doesn't seem to have any trailhead parking, but you might be able to find an out-of-the-way spot on the side of the road in the early season. It is much easier and better to just park at the Shellrock Lake Trailhead, however.)

I've been doing most of my hikes in southern Washington and central Oregon, so this area of the Mount Hood National Forest is all new to me. It also happens to be one of the closest wilderness areas to home.

The trail began by skirting the north shore of Hideaway Lake. Much of it was in the forest, with a few spots accessing the river.

Hideaway Lake from the lakeside loop trail.

The trail goes all the way around the lake, but we turned right at this junction onto the Shellrock Lake Trail #700.
So far, no snow. A few small sticks and branches on the trail, but nothing much.

Once we turned onto the Shellrock Lake Trail, the snow started to show up. It consisted of 2ft drifts, but the most difficult part was the numerous and large blowdowns (I didn't get a photo of the snowiest section, however.).
Some blowdowns required significant detours. It is difficult to locate the trail in some parts.

The trail skirted a large meadow and wetland. It is the outlet for Hideaway Lake, draining into Shellrock Creek.

After a short 0.7 miles, we reached the official Shellrock Lake Trailhead.

In less than 0.2 miles, we reached the more open portion of the old clearcut.

It afforded some nice views across the Shellrock Creek valley.

In about 1.2 miles from the start at Hideaway Lake, we entered the newly created Roaring River Wilderness, designated in 2009.
Question: In a photo like this with a very high sign, is it better to keep everything in focus or pull the background out of focus (adding bokeh), like this?

Nearing Shellrock Lake, the trail is in very good condition with no sign of snow or blowdowns. As for mosquitos, I never noticed them along this section up to the lake. They are prominent around Hideaway Lake, however.

At 1.4 miles from Hideaway Lake (or 0.7 mi. from Shellrock TH), we reached Shellrock Lake. It is snow free.

Shellrock Lake view after a ways hiking along the east shore.

Here is a very minor blowdown, shortly after we passed the junction with the west lakeshore trail. (Junction signed as "Frazier Turnaround -->").
The Shellrock Trail continues all the way up to the Grouse Point Trail (and then to Frazier Turnaround).

Trilliums starting to bloom along the trail; many more to come! :D

The first obstacles we encountered after the lake were blowdowns, some very severe. Much of the trail here is a rocky creekbed, with snowmelt running down its course.
It is a beautiful trail among lush montane forest, with some nice old growth to spice it up.
At this point, snow was a partial coverage, averaging around 1-2 feet.

The worst blowdown; the tree fell parallel over the trail.

Eventually the snow covers over the blowdowns.

The snow quickly deepened and covered the entire trail. From this point on, the trail is indiscernible and covered in continuous snow of around 3-5 feet.

Deep snow.

More deep snow!

At 2.7 miles from the start, we reached the Grouse Point Trail junction.

The Grouse Point Trail from Frazier Mountain all the way to the turnaround is a long abandoned section of the Frazier Mountain Road. There is partial snow covering this trail, around 1-3 feet deep and melting fast. Lots of ground exposed.

As we neared the Frazier Turnaround, there is a small view of Mount Jefferson through the trees.

We stayed at one of the campsites/picnic areas at the old abandoned campground here. It is mostly clear of snow.

The start of the Serene Lake Trail. It is snow-covered about a hundred feet down the trail.

With packs, we continued down to the old Frazier Fork campground, which appears to be even less used. It is much more snowed in here.

The old abandoned outhouse. The other one is still standing.

We took a short walk down the Frazier Mountain Road to see what the conditions were like. It starts out under deep snow, then thins out to bare dirt and creeklets. The snow near the Frazier Fork is around 4 feet deep on the road, but we saw motorcycle tracks not far down where the snow disappears (which suggests it is somewhat accessible from the other end?).

The snow on the road melted out fully after about 0.2 miles east of the Frazier Fork CG. We only walked 0.8 miles down the road from Frazier Fork, so the snow conditions beyond that is questionable.

Back at Frazier Turnaround and after a quick dinner, I made my way over to a rock outcropping with a view of Mount Jefferson (right) and Olallie Butte (middle).
(The better view is from the second rock outcropping from Frazier Turnaround, a good distance and out of sight from camp. It is somewhat difficult to climb down to.)

Mount Jefferson closeup, taken with a zoom lens. The view of Mount Jefferson was breathtaking, even from so far away (33 miles). In my opinion, it the most beautiful and photogenic mountain in Oregon (and certainly my favorite in the state). :)

Zoom in on Ollallie Butte, above Olallie Lake (hidden from view). (25 miles away).

Looking down into the Shellrock Creek valley.

A zoom in on North Pinhead Butte, 17 miles away.

A photo for the "PoniesAroundTheWorld" event, taken from the viewpoint. She is a handmade craftpiece by an artist called LanaCraft. I'll be taking Flutterbat on a PCT section later this summer for more photos. :)

A beautiful sunset on Mount Jefferson from the outcropping.

Shellrock Lake on the way back.

We walked along the road on the way back to avoid the blowdowns between the Shellrock Lake Trailhead and Hideaway Lake.

GPSfly Track:
http://gpsfly.org/a/7244
- Previously ElementalFX

RobFromRedland

Re: Shellrock Lake-Frazier Turnaround | Roaring R. Wildernes

Post by RobFromRedland » June 22nd, 2017, 3:38 pm

Awesome report. Just curious - when did you do the trip? You said it might be melted out by now, but 3 feet of snow will take at least a couple of weeks to melt.

It would have been interesting to see how far you could have gotten on the Serene Lake Trail, or what Serene Lake look like now.

Quite a difference from a couple of years ago (2015) when I able to drive up to Frazier Turnaround in February and hiked Grouse Point down to Serene Lake and then out!!! Almost no snow then....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Boozeman

Post by Boozeman » June 24th, 2017, 2:17 am

Beautiful pics!!! Looks like a fantastic trip. I'm hoping to get out to Jefferson sometime this summer. :D

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 24th, 2017, 10:48 am

Thanks for the report! Whew, that's a lot of snow in some spots. Love those Mt. Jefferson photos.
Question: In a photo like this with a very high sign, is it better to keep everything in focus or pull the background out of focus (adding bokeh), like this?
I personally prefer the bokeh look, but it's totally subjective. I bet some photographers would like the non-bokeh version. Whatever looks best to you! :)
RobFromRedland wrote:Awesome report. Just curious - when did you do the trip? You said it might be melted out by now, but 3 feet of snow will take at least a couple of weeks to melt.
From his GPSfly track at the bottom of the post it looks like this was from last Sunday, June 18.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » June 24th, 2017, 11:02 am

justpeachy wrote:
RobFromRedland wrote:Awesome report. Just curious - when did you do the trip? You said it might be melted out by now, but 3 feet of snow will take at least a couple of weeks to melt.
From his GPSfly track at the bottom of the post it looks like this was from last Sunday, June 18.
DOH!!!! :oops: Thanks. I should have seen that.

Amazing how much snow is still in the hills this year. This weekend should help melt some of it out.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

miah66

Post by miah66 » June 26th, 2017, 9:31 am

Went hiked the Serene lake loop last summer and was shocked at how many people were camped there. Must've been 20 to 30 groups crawling all over every inch of the lake. The lakes (Rock Lakes, Serene, Shellrock, Hideaway, etc) here definitely draw large crowds of backpackers and campers. The road you hiked part way out is generally a miserable drive on a very rough and rocky track. That being said, its amazing how many cars you'll find parked at the Frazier Turnaround TH / Campground. :lol: You got lucky going before it's all melted out!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » June 28th, 2017, 12:35 am

It would have been interesting to see how far you could have gotten on the Serene Lake Trail, or what Serene Lake look like now.

Quite a difference from a couple of years ago (2015) when I able to drive up to Frazier Turnaround in February and hiked Grouse Point down to Serene Lake and then out!!! Almost no snow then....

Thank you.

Yeah, my bad. For some reason I wrote it as if it were to be read some time later; I normally don't finish up a trip report that quick after a hike. :lol: I figured that the snow near Hideaway Lake would melt sooner with the coming heat wave, but I guess not.

So much snow this year, for sure.

Boozeman wrote:Beautiful pics!!! Looks like a fantastic trip. I'm hoping to get out to Jefferson sometime this summer. :D
Thanks! Enjoy your trip by Mt. Jefferson! Some of the trails in the south part of the Mt. Jefferson wilderness are clear of snow as of now. I just hiked up to Marion Mountain and saw no snow. There's snow around the Eight Lakes Basin (between Mowich and Jorn Lake) and Jeff Park, however.

justpeachy wrote:Thanks for the report! Whew, that's a lot of snow in some spots. Love those Mt. Jefferson photos.
I personally prefer the bokeh look, but it's totally subjective. I bet some photographers would like the non-bokeh version. Whatever looks best to you! :)
Thank you! I also prefer the bokeh look for these kinds of photos, so that's good to hear. :)
- Previously ElementalFX