Fifteen Mile Creek Loop - 6-20-17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dmthomas49

Fifteen Mile Creek Loop - 6-20-17

Post by dmthomas49 » June 21st, 2017, 8:40 am

Fifteen Mile Creek.jpg
Hiking buddy and I decided to do the Fifteen Mile Creek Loop hike on this sunny, mild (70s) Tuesday. The drive to the trailhead took 2 hours from Vancouver. We started at the trailhead at about 10am.
I really enjoyed this hike! The terrain is varied and a change from the types of trees that we see in the Western Gorge. The trail is a loop of a little over 10 miles. We hiked it counter clock-wise. In this direction, the last 5 miles are mostly uphill. In the other direction you would get some relief with flat parklands. But in the end, the elevation gain and loss are the same in both directions. There were a lot of trees down, but the trail was clear. We saw only 5 other people, all mountain bikers. Apparently this is a popular destination for them.
Blue Sky day.jpg
The hike down provided some nice views of open parklands and flowered meadows.
Grassy Hilltops.jpg
Rocky outcrop.jpg
We encountered this interesting scene that looks like the tree eating the rock. I am sure the rock was there first but the tree is doing its best to eliminate the rock.
Tree Eating Rock.jpg
The view from the ridges allows you to see how the landscape is changing from forested to drier areas.
View to drier East.jpg
View down into creek canyon from ridge.jpg
The mid-point is at the Fifteen mile Creek-Cedar Creek-Underhill Trail Junction.
Mid-point bottomland.jpg
There is new signage on the trail that looks to have just been placed this year. This was a good place for us to stop for a snack and water break. We could tell that it was drier here as we were needing to take water more often. Glad that we brought our camelbacks!

The 5 mile hike back to the trailhead is mostly up, with gradual slopes, but a few steeper areas. We saw a lot more flowers and some succulents on the way up. Also some neat gnarled trees.
Pink Flower.jpg
Gnarled tree.jpg
Succulents.jpg
Flowers 3.jpg
Fifteen Mile Creek 2.jpg
Also saw this interesting set of flowers being overlooked by moss covered branches that remind me of Dr. Seuss characters.
Dr Seuss Characters.jpg
Arrived back at the trailhead in almost exactly 5 hours.
I will definitely want to do this hike again, maybe in the fall next time!
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

Meiyong

Re: Fifteen Mile Creek Loop - 6-20-17

Post by Meiyong » June 21st, 2017, 12:17 pm

Nice trip report. I've been meaning to check this trail out. Those pink flowers are Bitter-root btw.

dmthomas49

Re: Fifteen Mile Creek Loop - 6-20-17

Post by dmthomas49 » June 21st, 2017, 5:59 pm

Thanks. My flower identification skills are severely lacking!
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir