Home  •   Field Guide  •   Forums  •   Unread Posts  •   Maps  •   Find a Hike!  •    Register  •   Search  •  
Jump to:  
Login  | 

Board index » Trail Talk » Trip Reports

Post subject: A day in the hood: Cooper Spur and Laurance lake
 Post Posted: June 18th, 2017, 1:00 pm 

Pre-hike

Coming from the eastern lands, I had a lot of ground to cover before reaching Mt hood. I left work early on Friday, and headed west towards the mountain. Stopped by the lovely Solera Brewery in Parkdale for some food and brews. Drove 7 miles to Laurance lake campground, and got there just before 9. The campground has 26 sites, most of which are walk-ins, and probably less than 10 were occupied. I chose a site with no neighbors in sight, and got ready for the wet and windy night. A 64'er I got with me from Solera helped with the plight.
Attachment:
resized000.jpg
resized000.jpg [ 126.55 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

Hike Day
The birds woke me up around 4.30. and got up about 5, prepared some coffee, with a nice view of the lake.
Attachment:
resized001.jpg
resized001.jpg [ 107.1 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

After breakfast I drove up to the Tilly Jane trailhead. The road is still closed just after the trailhead, so there is no car access to Cloud Cap Inn. I arrived just after 8, and there were three cars already at the TH, and 2 more arrived before I hit the trail. The trail starts ascending right off the bat from the trailhead. It starts in a forested area, which soon turns into a burn area, all the way till Tilly Jane camground.
Attachment:
resized006.jpg
resized006.jpg [ 202.65 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

The trail is snow-free till TJ camground at 5700 ft, where snow starts to appear in patches.

A ruined structure next to the A-frame at TJC
Attachment:
resized008.jpg
resized008.jpg [ 210.8 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

Attachment:
resized009.jpg
resized009.jpg [ 256.95 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

There were no tents at the campground, but there were a large group staying in the A-frame. I was tired. It is time for a nap. I choose a snow-free spot away from the A-frame and dozed off for 45 minutes or so. I was waken up by the voices of passer-bys, and I realized that I am shivering. Got up and decided to go towards Cloud Cap inn before going up to Cooper Spur. There is a lot of patchy snow on the trail from TJH to CSI, and I decided to put on micro-spikes, but they aren't necessary.

View from the trail towards the roads just before reaching CSI
Attachment:
resized010.jpg
resized010.jpg [ 255.86 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

From CSI and going up on the timberline trail to the CS shelter, the trail had a bunch of snow below the treeline, varying from 0-4 ft. I kept my micro-spikes until I was above the tree-line where the snow was less, and I was walking on rocky terrain.
Attachment:
resized012.jpg
resized012.jpg [ 317.32 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

An avalanche shoot just before the rocky terrain.
Attachment:
resized014.jpg
resized014.jpg [ 176.34 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

Rocky terrain
Attachment:
resized015.jpg
resized015.jpg [ 168.96 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

View of Mt Adams from the rocky terrain
Attachment:
resized016.jpg
resized016.jpg [ 96.58 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

After that, when turning north towards the cooper spur shelter, continuous snow started, and I put on the micro-spikes again, although again not necessary.
Attachment:
resized018.jpg
resized018.jpg [ 143.26 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

Finally arrived at the shelter. There were no snow around it, only in it.
Attachment:
resized020.jpg
resized020.jpg [ 152.41 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

View from the shelter.
Attachment:
resized019.jpg
resized019.jpg [ 82.92 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

I had some lunch and ultra-light weight bourbon, while sitting with Adams, where he told me about his problems with Helen and how she blows up everytime he does something she doesn't like, and how Hood thinks she is a saint, and he doesn't know that she has a big deep hole in her. Then, I was tired. I decided to have a nap.

ultra light weight bourbon
Attachment:
resized021.jpg
resized021.jpg [ 233.75 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

Woke up in an hour or so, and headed down on the cooper spur trail towards TJC. Going down was much easier both in effort and navigation, I didn't use microspikes.

View going down
Attachment:
resized023.jpg
resized023.jpg [ 191.06 KiB | Viewed 898 times ]

The trail had snow on most of it, becoming patchy halfway to the campground. When I reached the campground, I was feeling sleepy, so I brewed some coffee before heading down to the TH. At the trailhead there were 10 cars parked. Overall, I only saw two parties on the trail, excluding the TJC area.

Post subject: Re: A day in the hood: Cooper Spur and Laurance lake
 Post Posted: June 18th, 2017, 1:13 pm 

You bourbon drinkers have it so easy. :lol:

Post Posted: June 19th, 2017, 10:16 am 

Did you make it all the way to Cooper Spur? I ran into a Mountain Ranger — first on the mountain, and then later in the day at Solera Brewery — who said he tried to make Cooper Spur Sunday morning but was getting blasted by winds. I almost reached the shelter Sunday afternoon but turned back about 1/2 mile away after losing the trail a couple times. There was a huge, thick cloud that settled down to the timberline, so I'm doubting I would have had a view anyway.

Post Posted: June 19th, 2017, 3:53 pm 

mrblisterdundee wrote:
Did you make it all the way to Cooper Spur? I ran into a Mountain Ranger — first on the mountain, and then later in the day at Solera Brewery — who said he tried to make Cooper Spur Sunday morning but was getting blasted by winds. I almost reached the shelter Sunday afternoon but turned back about 1/2 mile away after losing the trail a couple times. There was a huge, thick cloud that settled down to the timberline, so I'm doubting I would have had a view anyway.

I stopped at the shelter. I was lucky on Saturday, it was nice weather just few clouds and not windy at all, but unfortunately I was winded. I saw a group at the shelter, and I think they kept going up.

Post Posted: June 19th, 2017, 6:42 pm 

I like your style in travel and your sense of humor...thanks for the trip report1

Board index » Trail Talk » Trip Reports