Tanner Butte – Eagle Creek Loop conditions 6-11-17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Re: Tanner Butte – Eagle Creek Loop conditions 6-11-17

Post by kepPNW » June 15th, 2017, 6:11 am

drm wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Wow, so still more than knee deep, huh? Didn't think there was still that much snow up there! Last time I crossed that, it was late-May (obviously not this year), and only just above my ankles. :lol: Thanks for the update!
I'm not sure if 1 1/2 to 2 feet counts as more than knee deep, but with the snow on Tanner ridge mostly melted, the creek level is going to be dropping pretty fast. When I went up the other way on Eagle Ck the week before, water level did not look at all intimidating for an upper creek ford.
Well, 2' would be over my knees, I'm pretty sure. :) But yeah, it's gonna recede real quick now. I think this one's one the schedule for "soon!" (Hoping to nail beargrass alley at prime, maybe...)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

hbardamu

Post by hbardamu » June 15th, 2017, 8:31 am

Great trip report. I was considering doing this loop next week. How were the mosquitoes?

Jack

Post by Jack » June 15th, 2017, 10:44 am

Don’t know why the creek was running high, but I would suppose some snowpack on the N NE sides of Eagle Butte and Table Mt., in the Bull Run, are still feeding it well. My guesstimate on water depth was based on a higher than usual creek, equating to knee deep, with a possible deeper pool or two. Just a guess.

I saw no bugs all day, but my thermometer never read above 67°.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » June 15th, 2017, 11:42 am

drm wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Wow, so still more than knee deep, huh? Didn't think there was still that much snow up there! Last time I crossed that, it was late-May (obviously not this year), and only just above my ankles. :lol: Thanks for the update!
I'm not sure if 1 1/2 to 2 feet counts as more than knee deep, but with the snow on Tanner ridge mostly melted, the creek level is going to be dropping pretty fast. When I went up the other way on Eagle Ck the week before, water level did not look at all intimidating for an upper creek ford.
:lol: On some of us that counts as almost mid thigh.
Wonderful report Jack!! Good to know about the conditions higher up. I'm always curious and someday I will make it.
Colette Grace

Eddie

Post by Eddie » June 15th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Nice report! I was planning to hike it last weekend, but postponed due to possible snow. I will definitively go this weekend!
So trail is not difficult to follow, even with that patchy snow?

Eddie

Post by Eddie » June 19th, 2017, 9:36 am

So for people who plan to do this: Eagle creek (and all other creeks) are higher than usual, actually highest levels I have ever seen them. Eagle creek crossing is about 68 cm at the deepest, still doable, with care. Entire loop is free of snow, however Tanner-Eagle trail that connects the two is in poor shape: lots of fallen trees and the damage from the harsh winter is visible. But still fun to do!

Jack

Post by Jack » June 19th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Glad it turned out to be a fun hike. Thanks for the update. Yes, the Eagle - Tanner Tr. hasn’t seen any maintenance in some time and the blowdown, sadly, just keeps mounting.