Tumala Mtn via Fanton

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Skoop

Tumala Mtn via Fanton

Post by Skoop » June 10th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Took a group of 20 parents and kids from the local Boy Scout troop out today. We parked on 4614 at the 4614-120 turn off and found the trailhead off the 130 spur a half mile from where we parked. Trail was in fabulous shape and I really dont get the difficult rating for this trail. The route my GPS tracked is in places vastly different from what the maps show so exercise caution if you happen to get off the trail and try to use GPS to get back on. After the intersection with the Old Baldy trail, the path heads steeply up to the saddle that leads to the trail that takes you to the summit of Tumala Mtn. We ran into deep but stiff snow pack (that you could walk right on top of) at 4500 ft, just a quarter mile shy of the summit, but since the trail varied quite a bit from the map I couldn't locate a single blazed tree and didnt feel comfortable taking young kids in tennis shoes up it. A trail clearing crew was out today and I asked them about the lack of blazes and was informed that it is obviously an antiquated marking system but they had yet to devise a modern and less invasive system of trail marking. Perhaps future hikes could include a simple reflective tack with 4 inches of bright marking ribbon as a service project (with the Forest Services blessing of course!). All in all a great day in the great outdoors!

RobFromRedland

Re: Tumala Mtn via Fanton

Post by RobFromRedland » June 10th, 2017, 7:32 pm

There is a GPS track of the Fanton trail here:

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php? ... l.gpx&t=t2

And also of Old Baldy (which also varies a considerable amount from what the map shows in places), including the trail up to Squaw/Tumala Mountain:

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php? ... l.gpx&t=t4

We were up on Old Baldy a bit farther north two weeks ago and ran into a lot of snow in places. I would assume things should be melted out in the next couple of weeks.

Too bad you couldn't get up to the top - it is a pretty good view up there.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

gratefultrails

Re: Tumala Mtn via Fanton

Post by gratefultrails » June 18th, 2017, 8:52 am

I made it up to Tumala yesterday. Almost turned around a few hundred yards before the saddle junction with the summit trail due to deep snow... it took a couple minutes and some backtracking to establish a safe way I could easily remember to the saddle. But looking back, I could tell where trees had been cut to make room for a trail.

After junction, the trail was more obvious but with one very steep, deep snowbank on the N side right below the 4x4 road, that had to be maneuvered under in the tight trees. Use of hands was essential on the steep slope. Flowers are only just beginning, phlox and paintbrush, about 3-4 weeks later than last year up there.