Hardy Ridge / Phlox Point Loop Hike - 05.24.17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
zombie

Hardy Ridge / Phlox Point Loop Hike - 05.24.17

Post by zombie » May 27th, 2017, 8:32 am

I might have missed the sun from the days previous and after, but I had a great grey day heading up Hardy Ridge. Somehow I have missed doing this one all these years, despite numerous times up Hamilton and Table...and now I have to say, I might prefer this hike to both!

The flowers in the meadows up on the ridge were in their early stages and it's probably still a matter of weeks before things are blooming fully. Phlox Point proved aptly named and did not dissappoint! No views of the volcanos on this day (so heading back soon), but I did have my first on trail bear encounter. I was about 2 miles in, on the East side (going counter-clockwise on the loop) when I came around a corner and saw a Black Bear on the trail about 25' in front of me. Always one to state the obvious I said out loud, "Oh, hi! You're a bear!" Somewhere in between "hi" and "you're", he had enough of me and took off into the woods like a rocket.

All in all a very good day on the trail and an early start ensured that I would see no one until my way down...having the ridge to myself was great! Total trip was just under 9 miles and around 2400' elevation.
ridge4.jpg
ridge3.jpg
ridge2.jpg
ridge 1.jpg
phlox.jpg
phloxclose.jpg
stump.jpg
trail close.jpg
hamilton.jpg
gorge.jpg

Chip Down

Re: Hardy Ridge / Phlox Point Loop Hike - 05.24.17

Post by Chip Down » May 28th, 2017, 8:00 am

zombie wrote: Always one to state the obvious I said out loud, "Oh, hi! You're a bear!"
Cute. :D
I suspect most of us would have said "Oh, shxx! A bear!" or "Oh, fuxx! A bear!" I realize a bear in the gorge is extremely unlikely to attack, but my reaction would be maybe 55% terror and 45% excitement.

Yeah, that's a great hike once you get up on the ridge. I too just recently discovered it.

agokturk

Post by agokturk » May 29th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Shhh, don't make too much of Hardy Ridge... folks might catch on that it's a beautiful hike and start crowding it. :lol:

meana39

Post by meana39 » May 31st, 2017, 8:47 am

My sister and I did that hike a couple of years ago, went up the west side of the ridge, counted 7 piles of bear poo. On the way down we counted 8 and my dog was completely on alert the whole time. Never saw the actual bear though.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir