Dog Mountain Flower Bloom - 2017-05-25

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dmthomas49

Dog Mountain Flower Bloom - 2017-05-25

Post by dmthomas49 » May 26th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Near Top.jpg
Hiking buddy and I wanted to check the flower blooms on Dog Mountain, so we arrived at 7:50am Thursday to a ¾ full parking lot.
Temp was about 55 and it was sunny to start but I was anticipating cooler temps and wind at the top.
The sign is missing for the steep and easier trails but we knew to take the steep (left trail) to head up. We did not see any people going up this direction, so most must have taken the easier route.
Trail up.jpg
When we got to the opening, the balsamroot flowers are now in full bloom.
BR 1.jpg
BR 2.jpg
BR 3.jpg
BR 4.jpg
My camera does not do the scenes justice. But the view made me want to break out into a chorus of the Sound of Music!
When we got to the top there were about 5 other people there, but others started to arrive. St. Helens was mostly visible and Mt. Hood was clear. Also a great view looking down to Wind Mountain and the Columbia River.
Mt Hood.jpg
St Helens.jpg
Wind Mountain.jpg
Columbia.jpg
Temp was likely in the 40s at the top with a cold wind! Most people pulled out a jacket or extra shirt.
Lots of other flowers in bloom.
Flowers 1.jpg
Flowers 2.jpg
Flowers 3.jpg
Chocolate Orchid.jpg
Chocolate Orchid.jpg (20.81 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
Spent about 10 minutes at the summit and started down to the less steep route.

Lots of people coming up. Most younger hikers seemed to have shorts and tee shirts. Either they were not aware it could be colder up top or just young enough to take the cold. We saw one guy with no shirt and carrying his dog.

It was a great trip after spending 10 days in hot, dry, dusty West Texas. I love living in the Northwest!

Total time 3 hours, 10 minutes.
Attachments
BR 4.jpg
Last edited by dmthomas49 on May 30th, 2017, 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

Double Tree

Re: Dog Mountain Flower Bloom - 2017-05-25

Post by Double Tree » May 29th, 2017, 8:47 am

Thanks for the photos. I got there at 5:30 yesterday morning and found a dozen cars already parked. It was a pleasant hike up, mild, almost no wind, and yes the balsam root at are peak. Never get tires of that hike.
Kelly

stressfreelife1976

Re: Dog Mountain Flower Bloom - 2017-05-25

Post by stressfreelife1976 » May 30th, 2017, 7:53 am

Was just up there yesterday .... beautiful ... amazing ... wild flowers every where. If you are out of shape take your time as the grade is steep, but worth every step once you get to the top. Unreal and a must hike if you are a hiker.