Burnt Lake 5/23

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Burnt Lake 5/23

Post by pdxgene » May 23rd, 2017, 2:37 pm

If anyone is thinking about going this weekend here's a quick update...
No 'real' snow until near the top. Snowshoes would be worthless, actually more trouble than anything else.. YakTrax (or similar) will be very beneficial. If just for confidence on the steep slippery snow hills.
The path thru the upper snowfield is too low. It's above air and tree limbs. I wouldn't want to posthole here. Ouch...
You do not want to be below where the trail comes out the other side. It is much better to go up. (pictured)
Once at the top the best way to the lake is straight ahead thru the woods. You can easily cross the outlet creek on logs in a number of places right near the lake and meet back up with the trail. Don't follow the trail down into that little gully, just stay up high and go towards the lake.
Lost Creek is raging and access to the best photo spot for the falls means you have to walk thru/across it. It's above my knees so at least a couple feet. If you haven't crossed it before and you don't know where the best spot is, I'd say just don't do it. There's some stretches that are slick rock surface under the water and would be very dangerous.
I saw a camper coming down, there was another up there somewhere and not a single other dayhiker from 8a-1230ish... :D
Pics here...
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/101 ... 9nMWGAo2Zh