Roads End Beach Hike

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Smith

Roads End Beach Hike

Post by Smith » May 23rd, 2017, 12:05 pm

Had a nice walk along the beach at Roads End. At low tide you can get to this hidden beach by climbing over some tide pools and small rock formations. The little beach was really cool and had nice view of the sun beginning to set. We only stayed for a little while because of the tides.

On the way back to the car we saw a seal carcass. I was too scarred to get really close, but it is the closest I've ever been to a seal. Now I know that they can be big animals, but it feels different when you are only 5ft away.

More photos on my blog: https://boredomtheadventure.wordpress.c ... den-beach/

https://youtu.be/kLtICOSX4NM

bobcat

Re: Roads End Beach Hike

Post by bobcat » May 23rd, 2017, 12:30 pm

That's too much energy for someone watching from a cubicle. Nice video of the hidden beach. I've always been shut out by the tide.
Smith wrote:On the way back to the car we saw a seal carcass.
Sea lion more like it, maybe one of those big Steller's.

Smith

Post by Smith » May 23rd, 2017, 1:12 pm

bobcat wrote:
Smith wrote:On the way back to the car we saw a seal carcass.
Sea lion more like it, maybe one of those big Steller's.
Yes! You are 100% correct. It was probably a Sea Lion, not a seal. I was thinking it was not a walrus, so it must be a seal. :lol:

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 23rd, 2017, 3:12 pm

Elephant seals are (or can be) even larger than Steller sea lions, so it's not as though seal means small, not that I am attempting identification.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » May 23rd, 2017, 3:44 pm

Webfoot wrote:Elephant seals are (or can be) even larger than Steller sea lions, so it's not as though seal means small, not that I am attempting identification.
There is an elephant seal colony at a beach by San Simien, CA. I stopped by and checked them out once. They are massive, I think on par w/ walruses. Don't know how far north they venture.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » May 23rd, 2017, 3:47 pm

Looks like a beautiful day at the beach. That's a nice spot for a stroll. I've only discovered that place in the last few years.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » May 23rd, 2017, 4:24 pm

If you can time it for a minus tide there's some really cool caves (reasonably short, you're not in the complete dark) filled with all kinds of colors and tidepool critters back there to explore...

Smith

Post by Smith » May 23rd, 2017, 4:51 pm

pdxgene wrote:If you can time it for a minus tide there's some really cool caves (reasonably short, you're not in the complete dark) filled with all kinds of colors and tidepool critters back there to explore...
I'll have to keep this in mind next time I go out there!