Curly CK Falls to Lewis River Falls In and Out hike

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dfs1109

Curly CK Falls to Lewis River Falls In and Out hike

Post by dfs1109 » May 23rd, 2017, 10:21 am

In my hast to get out and hike on a day an unexpected day off, I misread the trip report and ended up hiking/running around 30 miles instead of the anticipated 20 mile hike that I intended. The Curly Creek trip report ends at the Crab Creek trailhead which is below the Lower Lewis Falls. The 3 tier falls was my goal and I thought that would be within the 20 mile hike that I read about (I was wrong). I realized within the first 5-6 miles that my information was wrong and started picking up the pace and went for it anyway.

http://gpsfly.org/g/7157

This hike started out nicely at Curly Creek Falls trail head but beware of mosquitoes within the first 2 miles. Lots of elk dropping and a couple of carcass's laying around probably doesn't help the bug situation. First couple of miles takes you through some nice old growth but eventually the rest of the miles became quite mundane and not that scenic until you get to the falls (last 3 miles). Not a hike I would do again.

Trailhead

Curly Creek Falls (turn right at the juncture near the trailhead then turn around to head upstream).

Bolt Camp

Lower Lewis Falls

Middle Lewis Falls

Upper Lewis Falls

I didnt realize how wide and deep this river really is and I am amazed that I haven't heard more about this river. Lots of water here!
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

drm

Re: Curly CK Falls to Lewis River Falls In and Out hike

Post by drm » May 23rd, 2017, 10:57 am

It is about 10 miles from the start to Lower Falls, but you went to Upper Falls. Not sure where Crab Creek trailhead is. Which falls is the 3-tier one you wanted?

I do this hike at least once a year, I never get tired of it.

dfs1109

Re: Curly CK Falls to Lewis River Falls In and Out hike

Post by dfs1109 » May 23rd, 2017, 1:52 pm

drm wrote:It is about 10 miles from the start to Lower Falls, but you went to Upper Falls. Not sure where Crab Creek trailhead is. Which falls is the 3-tier one you wanted?

I do this hike at least once a year, I never get tired of it.

Yeah I have no idea where Crab Creek trailhead is located, I never saw it. The trip I found on this site is under the name Lewis River Traverse. Just to be clear, im not suggesting the trip report was wrong. Im just saying that I quickly found the report and pulled the coordinates and off I went.

The 3-tier I mentioned was referring to the upper, middle and lower Lewis Falls.
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan