Wildflowers and views at Horse Rock Ridge - 5/20/17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Wildflowers and views at Horse Rock Ridge - 5/20/17

Post by justpeachy » May 23rd, 2017, 5:51 am

On Saturday Greg and I headed to Horse Rock Ridge. He ADORES this hike and goes at least once every spring. This was my first time here during the wildflower bloom. In addition to the flowers, we caught a lucky break with the views when the morning cloud cover burned off in the afternoon.

Long ago a road led right up to the edge of the meadow, but the BLM has decommissioned that road to protect the area. Now you have to hike it, but it's an easy stroll.

Then you emerge from the forest into the meadow, which stretches away into the distance.

The meadow doesn't have the spectacular displays of showy balsamroot and lupine that have been blooming in the eastern Gorge, but it has plenty of other wildflowers.

The BLM recognized the site’s botanical importance and established it as a Research Natural Area (RNA) in June 1995. It had previously been established as an Area of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC) in 1984. But although this spot of land is protected, the surrounding area is not, and the view is unfortunately peppered with clearcuts.

At the far end of the meadow the trail climbs up through the trees to a radio tower. I went up there while I waited for Greg. No views here.

But the tower is at the end of a road and down that road a very short distance a clearcut enables a view of the Willamette Valley:

Back at the meadow we sat and enjoyed the view. Mt. Jefferson had its head in the clouds:

The Three Sisters:

Hiking back:

This is a great hike if you have kids because it's short and easy with a nice payoff at the end. Greg says there should be wildflowers blooming for another two weeks or so.

retired jerry

Re: Wildflowers and views at Horse Rock Ridge - 5/20/17

Post by retired jerry » May 23rd, 2017, 6:27 am

That would be a good spot to see the total eclipse if it's in the zone

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » May 23rd, 2017, 6:34 am

retired jerry wrote:That would be a good spot to see the total eclipse if it's in the zone
Close, it's 3.5 miles outside the path.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 23rd, 2017, 7:26 am

too bad because you get good views around

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 23rd, 2017, 10:13 am

Looks nice. Do you have a GPS track for that trail?

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » May 23rd, 2017, 10:28 am

Webfoot wrote:Looks nice. Do you have a GPS track for that trail?
Caltopo

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 23rd, 2017, 10:50 am

Thank you.

Jim Wagner

Post by Jim Wagner » May 27th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Wow, that is relatively few miles from where I live. Did not know that there is anything publicly accessible along Coburg Ridge. Will definitely check it out. Maybe with brother Kelly on Monday.

Re: Total Eclipse - Rooster Rock and Iron Mountain should be fabulous - especially Iron Mountain. There are big plans for crowds on Marys Peak. USFS is arranging for shuttle buses up there. Apparently that Ranger District office has gotten inquiries from all over the country! Mary's Peak is dead-on the center line of the totality zone and more than 2 minutes of totality is expected. Totality duration does increase slightly as you go east as the track width increases.

Jim Wagner
Tangent

Jim Wagner

Post by Jim Wagner » May 29th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Just visited the location on 5/29/17. Wildflowers are still very nice though clearly down a bit

Was surprised at the usage rate. When we (Brother Kelly, his wife Fran, and I) arrived, there were about 8 cars at the trailhead. This was pretty late in the afternoon on Memorial Day.

Cloud level was low and it was only on our return that we could finally see Three Sisters.

Trail: there were several short bits that were quite steep and loose. Some was on solid rock though footing was actually better there than on the loose stuff. On the section between the trailhead and the first meadow (in timber) there were lots of windfalls. Most were pretty small size and no problem but one larger tree trunk was close to chest high and did present an obstacle for some; other debris made it difficult to go under.

Kelly's GPS said 825' of elevation gain and 3.25 miles round trip to the radio tower (if I recall correctly).

This is certainly a jewel in an area that is generally devoid of trails.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 30th, 2017, 9:29 am

On the section between the trailhead and the first meadow (in timber) there were lots of windfalls.
I believe that most of the trees across that old road are there deliberately. The BLM wants to keep motorized vehicles out of there. The big ones, though, are definitely the work of Mother Nature.