Rock of Ages up / Horsetail Ridge down (5/21/17)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Webfoot

Re: Rock of Ages up / Horsetail Ridge down (5/21/17)

Post by Webfoot » May 23rd, 2017, 11:05 am

Well I guess it is a problem with my browser but I'm glad I didn't go to great lengths to get it working only to see that message!

That still leaves me wondering what he means by "moved."

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 23rd, 2017, 6:19 pm

arlohike wrote:Ah, gotcha. The path on the east was better defined, but I thought that was the Russ Jolley and would take us back up the creek (literally). When you say "until you spot a safe place to cut down towards the creek," do you mean there is a visible path to look for, or you just have to choose your own spot?
It soon becomes a mess of steep trails that take you down to Jolley. I prefer to stay high, working south and dropping slightly whenever it's convenient. Because you're roughly parallel to Jolley, which ascends as it goes upstream, your elevation above Jolley is diminishing with every step southbound (even if you were to traverse on a level course, Jolley would rise below you, diminishing the hassle of dropping to the trail). Eventually you'll reach a talus slope. If you go any farther south (upstream) beyond that, the terrain levels out somewhat, and you're just pointlessly bushwhacking. The talus slope is a good spot to drop down to Jolley.

arlohike

Post by arlohike » May 23rd, 2017, 7:56 pm

Good info -- thanks!
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 24th, 2017, 7:26 am

Webfoot wrote:Well I guess it is a problem with my browser but I'm glad I didn't go to great lengths to get it working only to see that message!

That still leaves me wondering what he means by "moved."
Nothing cryptic there. I don't tend to delete things, the internet never forgets, so it's usually just best to rearrange them so they're difficult to find. The intent was to redact the map off the forum, 1: it's not entirely accurate, and 2: I don't want to see one of my maps cause someone injury.