Silver Star Southside Loop, 5/7/17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
neilsonw

Silver Star Southside Loop, 5/7/17

Post by neilsonw » May 12th, 2017, 6:46 pm

We wanted to hit Silver Star and chose the south approach for three reasons:

1) The north road is like an incomplete jigsaw puzzle, as we all know, and we didn't know its current condition

2) We haven't come from the south before

3) If we're going to be summiting MSH for the first time in 2 months, we need all the distance and elevation we can get :lol: (any other suggestions for late spring training hikes?)

We planned to go do the loop clockwise as described on OH, starting at Grouse Vista. There was a little more snow than expected and we opted not to scramble up Sturgeon. Then missed the fork left just east of Sturgeon (guess it was lost in the snow) and had to cut back, but it ended up fine. The Tarbell trail is pretty nice, as is the GV one.

Phone died so my GPS track is incomplete, but it turned out to be around 8.3 miles and 2150'. First hint of snow around 3500' and it quickly grew to 3-4+ feet most everywhere except the peaks.

Photo dump:

sgyoung

Re: Silver Star Southside Loop, 5/7/17

Post by sgyoung » May 13th, 2017, 9:55 am

Nice! There is still so much snow lingering (or more than lingering, it seems). I take it this has pushed back the wildflowers on Silver Star?

I hiked it (from the north) nearly this exact time in 2014 and the snow was only a problem after the arch on Ed's trail and the flowers were amazing. Your experience seems a bit different.

Good luck with MSH. My training hikes prior to MSH were almost all here on east coast, but my wife and I made a warm up trip the gorge and did Table Mt, which was pretty good practice.

neilsonw

Post by neilsonw » May 13th, 2017, 2:14 pm

sgyoung wrote:Nice! There is still so much snow lingering (or more than lingering, it seems). I take it this has pushed back the wildflowers on Silver Star?

I hiked it (from the north) nearly this exact time in 2014 and the snow was only a problem after the arch on Ed's trail and the flowers were amazing. Your experience seems a bit different.

Good luck with MSH. My training hikes prior to MSH were almost all here on east coast, but my wife and I made a warm up trip the gorge and did Table Mt, which was pretty good practice.
Yeah, not much in the way of flowers yet except for a few trilliums and whatnot low on the Tarbell trail. And thanks! We planned to hit Table Mountain but the shortest trail being inaccessible now is a bit concerning. haha

Gumby

Post by Gumby » May 13th, 2017, 6:58 pm

So much snow compared to last year :o . Thanks for sharing!
May she will stay

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » May 15th, 2017, 11:49 am

neilsonw wrote:Yeah, not much in the way of flowers yet except for a few trilliums and whatnot low on the Tarbell trail. And thanks! We planned to hit Table Mountain but the shortest trail being inaccessible now is a bit concerning. haha
Right! I forgot about Bonneville TH being closed. That is such a bummer! Maybe McCall Point? I think its about 3k in elevation gain if you follow the user path above the shelter. Although given all the snow that may not be a great option either. I guess the big gorge training hikes on the Oregon side are always options e.g., Defiance, etc.

neilsonw

Post by neilsonw » May 15th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Gumby wrote:So much snow compared to last year :o . Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure!
sgyoung wrote:
neilsonw wrote:Yeah, not much in the way of flowers yet except for a few trilliums and whatnot low on the Tarbell trail. And thanks! We planned to hit Table Mountain but the shortest trail being inaccessible now is a bit concerning. haha
Right! I forgot about Bonneville TH being closed. That is such a bummer! Maybe McCall Point? I think its about 3k in elevation gain if you follow the user path above the shelter. Although given all the snow that may not be a great option either. I guess the big gorge training hikes on the Oregon side are always options e.g., Defiance, etc.
Hmm, I've never been to McCall but it looks like it tops out around 1700'. This might be a silly question but did you mean McNeil Pt? I know there's a shelter there :P

Defiance is on the radar! Probably Dog pretty soon too, though that is pretty tame in comparison.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » May 16th, 2017, 7:02 pm

neilsonw wrote:
Hmm, I've never been to McCall but it looks like it tops out around 1700'. This might be a silly question but did you mean McNeil Pt? I know there's a shelter there :P

Defiance is on the radar! Probably Dog pretty soon too, though that is pretty tame in comparison.
:oops: Yep, I meant McNeil not McCall. Sorry! Glad you figured out what I was talking about.

neilsonw

Post by neilsonw » May 17th, 2017, 9:52 am

sgyoung wrote: :oops: Yep, I meant McNeil not McCall. Sorry! Glad you figured out what I was talking about.
No worries, thanks for the tips :mrgreen: