Rock of Ages up / Horsetail Ridge down (5/21/17)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
arlohike

Rock of Ages up / Horsetail Ridge down (5/21/17)

Post by arlohike » May 21st, 2017, 11:44 pm

I've done the Rock of Ages loop once (going up the Rock of Ages Trail from near Ponytail Falls, then heading west on the Horsetail Creek Trail and picking up the Oneonta Trail and heading back via Triple Falls) and wanted to try it again. Then in the past week I read a couple posts about the Horsetail Ridge trail, as an alternative return route. I found this map, which seemed straightforward enough, and didn't find any reports indicating it would be harder than Rock of Ages, so I proposed it to my hiking companion for the day and we agreed to see how we felt at the top and decide whether to try taking it back down.

Before going up Rock of Ages, we first went around the bend to the bottom of Horsetail Ridge to look at where we'd be ending up. The start of that trail is almost in the mirror image location of the Rock of Ages start, on the other side of Ponytail Falls, and consists of a few different faint paths going up, that quickly (about 10 feet up) merge into one steep scramble going up about 15 feet. We couldn't see beyond that, but it looked doable coming down with plenty of rocks to grab onto. I would later regret not noting the elevation at this point, and getting the lay of the land around this area better.

Rock of Ages ascent

We backtracked to Rock of Ages and headed up that, and as you'll know from other trip reports, it is steep and slow going. I had forgotten how much scrambling there was -- I think from about a quarter mile before the rock arch to a quarter mile after it, it was one scramble section after another. These weren't too difficult, with lots of tree roots and in some cases downed trees and branches to grab into, but in a couple places downed trees blocked the trail and made the scramble more difficult. We quickly lost any sense of shame as we awkwardly straddled and slithered over trees lying at steep angles on the slopes.

The area around the rock arch (which is at about 1 mile from the trailhead and 700 feet elevation) has a network of paths splitting and rejoining, so it's possible we could have take some easier routes, but likely it didn't matter. However, at one point below the arch the trail splits and one direction goes northeast toward a ridge and the other continues south up the mountain. We took the south option, not realizing the northeast option leads directly to the rock arch. From the south option, you will shortly reach an area where you can see the rock arch slightly below and then backtrack to it. But it was so windy on the ridge and I'm so scared of heights that we just looked from a distance and proceeded upward. In short, take the northeast branch to visit the rock arch and take the south if you don't care about that and just want to continue up the trail.

Just after this point we were surprised by a modest spread of wildflowers of several varieties on the sunny, exposed ridgeline. This continued to Devil's Backbone, where we stopped for some photos before reentering the woods for more relentlessly steep climbing, but not much more scrambling. Eventually we came to the Russ Jolly Trail junction, at about 1.9 miles from the trailhead and 1900 feet elevation and just past a strange stump in the middle of the trail, about 4 feet high, 4 inches in diameter with a lump about the size of a volleyball toward the top. The trail was distinct and dropped back down into the valley to the west; we continued upward.

Horsetail Creek traverse

Eventually the climbing eased as the trail meandered east, close to some steep drops into the valley on the east side, and before we knew it, we reached the Horsetail Creek junction and turned west. This section was nice and serene, with a gentle dip down toward several forks of the creek and then back up again. The creek crossings required some concentration to find a dry path across the rocks, but weren't too difficult. The last one was the hardest, but a low-hanging branch was helpfully located to provide stability across the first and most difficult steps. The next junction was with the Bell Creek Trail, where the Horsetail Creek Trail turned northwest, and became more brushy and overgrown.

At that point, we started looking for the Horsetail Ridge Trail, which we knew would be on our right, presumably near the peak of the ridge, while weighing our options of a descent down an unknown trail versus a traffic jam of Triple Falls hikers on the Oneonta Trail. We went past were we figured the ridge trail would be without seeing anything, then went into the woods and headed directly toward the top of the ridge, and when we reached that, started heading down it. Just when I was about to say, "This isn't working, let's go back to the trail," we started to see a faint path emerge. Before long the ridge narrowed and the path became more clear, so we continued down this way.

Horsetail Ridge descent

The first third or so of the descent was steep but easily manageable, and the ground had a cushy layer of pine needles that provided better traction than the Rock of Ages side. We were prepared for it to mirror the Rock of Ages side and get steeper toward the bottom. In a few spots, an outcropping of rocks burst above the ridgeline and in some cases the best path was up and over, and in other cases it was a detour around the side. I should clarify that the faint path we were following came and went and was the faintest trail I've ever followed. Among other trails I've seen, it was in the league of the Primrose Path, but maybe half as easy to see. Fortunately the ridgeline was still well defined, so getting lost wasn't really an option, and we saw a footprint often enough to confirm we were still on the right track.

The second third got more challenging, starting with a section of fallen trees right on the ridgeline that totally covered the path. This wasn't too difficult to pass through, but broke our momentum and introduced some doubts about our decision. The terrain was rougher after that, and at maybe 2/3 of the way, we came to some very narrow sections that triggered my fear of heights and also started some anxiety about having to come back up this way if we lost the route down. I also started noticing that we were getting closer and closer to the Columbia River but still had a lot of elevation to shed ... we were running out of room to descend. Sure enough, just when we felt like we were right on top of the railroad line, the ridge seemed to abruptly end, and drop straight down, with us stuck up there at 1000 feet.

We backtracked a bit and saw faint paths going down both sides of the ridge. On the east was a very precarious looking path that headed back south, which judging from the map was the other end of the Russ Jolly Trail. On the west was an even fainter but seemingly safer path and we chose that. This quickly started splitting and merging, much like on the Rock of Ages side, but roughly followed a second, less-defined ridgeline extending west. At this point we could have used some directions or a more detailed map. The one from the link above showed a path straight north to the Oneonta Trail, which seemed impossible, so we just had to follow whatever paths seemed to be heading generally northward. This section featured two steep drops of about 10-15 feet that we were able to butt-slide down, but I don't think we could have climbed back up, so our anxiety about following the correct route went up another notch. And then these paths got fainter and fainter. I'd choose what looked like a path and follow it maybe 20 yards until I saw a footprint or hiking pole hole, then continue to the next clue.

Here's the spot I'd rewind to if I could. My best guess at the path seemed to start going back up, toward the steep drop at the end of the main ridge, so I assumed it was going to dead-end at a lookout point, and didn't follow it. Because I hadn't noted the elevation at the bottom of this trail, I thought we were still too far above it to be looking for the final descent. Instead, we followed my second best guess, heading more directly down the west side of the ridge. But this hypothetical path quickly became obscured by a couple fallen trees and then disappeared entirely. Just when I was considering climbing back up to try the other option, I caught a glimpse of the Oneonta Trail, through dense brush but only 50 yards down a fairly gentle gradient. We basically beelined for that, not caring about the underbrush, branches and spiderwebs and happy to get back to a luxuriously well-travelled trail once again.

So where we ended up was around the other side of the ridge from where we should have been -- a short way past the lookout points that branch off the Oneonta Trail, where the memorial plaque is. I don't know if we should have taken that faint trail upward, or taken the precarious trail that I thought was the Russ Jolly before that. Looking back up the ridge from the area around where the trail starts, it was hard to believe any path could get from where we were to where we should have been. I assume I could climb up from the bottom of Horsetail Ridge to the point where we made a wrong turn, to connect the dots, but I don't think my curiosity is strong enough. It was a good adventure and we were glad we did it, but for me personally it crossed the line from an enjoyable challenge to a stressful slog, and I probably won't do it again.

I did want to post this report to flesh out some details that I haven't seen in other trip reports, and hopefully to get an explanation of where we went wrong and how we should have made the final part of the descent.

Postscript

Less than five minutes after reaching the Oneonta Trail, a park ranger of some kind heading up stopped us and asked, "Did you see anybody get hurt up there?" We were puzzled and said no, and didn't try to explain that we weren't coming from Triple Falls. A few minutes later we ran into a paramedic who asked the same thing, but the only info we could share was about the ranger we saw earlier. When we got to the trailhead there were several more paramedics and rescue staff unloading equipment. Apparently someone fell doing the Triple Falls hike and needed to be wheeled down. That made our minor bumps and scrapes feel better!
IMG_2032.jpg
Wildflowers before Devil's Backbone
IMG_2059.jpg
There's a trail under there somewhere. This is where the descent started getting messy.
IMG_2065.jpg
Looking up and across the valley to Devil's Backbone (I think) from the Horsetail Ridge.
IMG_2066.jpg
Crossing one of the points of no return on the descent.
Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 10.16.23 PM.png
Overall route.
Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 10.16.56 PM.png
Finding the top was hard.
Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 10.18.37 PM.png
Finding the bottom was much harder.
Last edited by arlohike on May 22nd, 2017, 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

Peder

Re: Rock of Ages up / Horsetail Ridge down (5/21/17)

Post by Peder » May 22nd, 2017, 5:53 am

That is a great read! I have gone both up and down the ridge. Getting onto the ridge from the Horsetail Creek side is the hard bit... If you go up too early, you hit cliffs and further south (where the second picture below is taken), it is kind of steep and loose.

Mayhem heading down the ridge.

Don and I coming off the ridge - photo by Guy or Eric

The usual users of that ridge are deer, so it was a game trail that you were following... Obviously, the sound advice once you start having doubts is to go back the way you came... It would be the pinnacle of irony if you had to be rescued after using a map posted by Lurch, our Search and Rescue (SAR) guy!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

arlohike

Post by arlohike » May 22nd, 2017, 7:45 am

Thanks Peder! I don't know why I didn't find your reports when I was searching for info last week. I think the photo you described as "the only tricky bit" was the same spot I labeled as the "point of no return." If I recall correctly, this was not far above the spot where I think I chose the wrong path down, so we were on target almost to the end. I just wish we'd found the entire route, to satisfy my curiosity.

Other posts mentioned exposure and a danger of knocking down rocks in that last section, so maybe the short bushwhack we took down the west side wasn't all that bad. I also suspect some of the splitting and merging options could have routed us around that steep drop pictured above if we had explored more.

Anyway, my biggest misconception was something suggested by another post, that the very last 15 foot drop down to the Oneonta Trail was the trickiest part. I thought I'd done my due diligence by scoping that out from below and deeming it passable, and didn't realize (or climb up to verify) that there was a lot more tricky stuff above that.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 22nd, 2017, 11:00 am

Peder wrote:Obviously, the sound advice once you start having doubts is to go back the way you came... It would be the pinnacle of irony if you had to be rescued after using a map posted by Lurch, our Search and Rescue (SAR) guy!
Ugghhh! Maps posted 7 years ago! Someone's been mining the forums..

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 22nd, 2017, 7:38 pm

Kudos for starting your trip by scouting the end of your descent. I bet you wish you had done it backwards, starting up that way and coming down ROA.

Good that you didn't waste too much time looking for the top of the "Horsetail Ridge trail". You didn't miss it; it just isn't there. There's not enough traffic through there to create more than a very faint path. Easier to find your own way.

From the north end of Horsetail Ridge, where it drops off abruptly, I think the best plan is to turn back south and follow a trail that gently drops along a grassy slope on the east side of the ridge, until you spot a safe place to cut down towards the creek, where you'll hit the Jolley trail, which will take you to a steep narrow chute that dumps you back at civilization. I'm surprised you dropped down the west side. I've never heard of anybody doing that. Another route from the end of the ridge is to backtrack south on the ridgecrest to the arch, and drop directly east from there.

Good report, fun reading.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 23rd, 2017, 4:35 am

Lurch wrote:Ugghhh! Maps posted 7 years ago! Someone's been mining the forums..
Did you delete the map? :?

arlohike

Post by arlohike » May 23rd, 2017, 7:37 am

Chip Down wrote:From the north end of Horsetail Ridge, where it drops off abruptly, I think the best plan is to turn back south and follow a trail that gently drops along a grassy slope on the east side of the ridge, until you spot a safe place to cut down towards the creek, where you'll hit the Jolley trail, which will take you to a steep narrow chute that dumps you back at civilization.
Ah, gotcha. The path on the east was better defined, but I thought that was the Russ Jolley and would take us back up the creek (literally). When you say "until you spot a safe place to cut down towards the creek," do you mean there is a visible path to look for, or you just have to choose your own spot?
Chip Down wrote:I'm surprised you dropped down the west side. I've never heard of anybody doing that.
I definitely saw foot prints and pole holes on the west side. That could offer an easier/safer route down from the ridge, because after some initial switchbacks, it slopes more gently down to the Oneonta Trail. But the denser underbrush on the flatter part would make it harder to locate.
Webfoot wrote:Did you delete the map? :?
I'm not sure how to interpret these comments, but I welcome any further route finding info on the one hand, or warnings about the difficulty level on the other. Any of that info would make a trip report more useful, IMO.
Last edited by arlohike on May 23rd, 2017, 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 23rd, 2017, 7:42 am

arlohike wrote:
Webfoot wrote:Did you delete the map? :?
I'm not sure how to interpret these comments, but I welcome any further route finding info on the one hand, or warnings about the difficulty level on the other. Any of that info would make a trip report more useful, IMO.
Webfoot is talking about me re-directing the link to the original map you used.. It's not *deleted*.. just moved ;)

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 23rd, 2017, 10:19 am

Lurch wrote:Webfoot is talking about me re-directing the link to the original map you used.. It's not *deleted*.. just moved ;)
I don't understand, but maybe that's the idea. In the referenced post all I see is "Image" but no actual image. Is it accessible only to the initiated or is something wrong with my browser?

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » May 23rd, 2017, 10:36 am

Webfoot: after this TR went up, Lurch edited his old post so that the image displayed (the one that the OP referenced) is no longer a screenshot of a "map" (really it was routes in Google Earth), but rather this:

(If you're not seeing an image displayed above - it's a big box that says "Nothing to see here" - then maybe it's a problem with your browser...)

In other words, the map has been redacted. [Edit: it appears the image has been completely removed now, so nevermind!]
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased