Success After Failure on the Rock of Ages Loop Hike...

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
StarryNight

Success After Failure on the Rock of Ages Loop Hike...

Post by StarryNight » May 2nd, 2017, 7:38 pm

Last year, I tried the Rock of Ages Loop Hike and totally failed. Here was my post on that debacle: http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23817

I'm now happy to say: I tried it again and it worked. Thanks to the help of people here on this forum last year. And it was amazing! My favorite hike in the Gorge so far.

A couple of observations and pointers on the failure now having done it correctly:
(1) How I missed the starting point the first time, I'm not sure. But it's pretty obvious (i.e., just as you round the bend on Horsetail Falls 438 and can see Ponytail Falls, there is a tree on the left of the trail with a distinctive root system, and the trail starts right there).
(2) The trail is actually not that hard to stay connected with, once you're on it. There are a couple of minor points where it is not 100% clear, but zero points where you are just lost and routefinding. It is an obvious trail, all the way until you connect with the maintained trails far into the hike (Horsetail Creek 425).
(3) The downed tree problem...is a problem. They are everywhere. And the last few miles before Triple Falls was downright annoying on that front. It's not so bad when there are a few downed trees in the forest. But the downed trees on the descent along Oneonta Creek were obnoxious. Parts of the trail were like a mini-waterfall, running right down along the trail itself. Then again, when you're getting tired, everything is a hassle.

The ROA feature itself is pretty cool, as is the spine up there with the view of the river and all of that. But what I didn't expect, having grappled my way up there to that point, was the fact that there is a pretty major elevation gain after that. Way up. Feels endless. This hike is very sincere about its elevation gain. However: My favorite part of the hike had to be that amazing forest at the plateau after all of the elevation gain. It was foggy/cloudy and mossy and silent. There was an odd bass-y guttural noise I kept hearing up there, almost thought it was someone on a drum far off in the distance, just a couple of beats, then silence, then a couple of beats, kind of muffled, then I wondered whether it was an animal noise, first it seemed ahead of me, then suddenly it was behind me. Any ideas?

Anyway: It was a super serene hike, and not all that difficult. Muddy and steep in places? Definitely. Potentially dangerous and not a casual stroll for weekenders? Yes. But I would do it again any time. Totally worth it and recommended.

Chip Down

Re: Success After Failure on the Rock of Ages Loop Hike...

Post by Chip Down » May 3rd, 2017, 4:56 am

Wow, that was parked on your to-do list for a loooong time. I do that sometimes though, get distracted or whatever. Just makes it that much more rewarding when it finally happens.

Interesting that you struggled so much just to find the start of the trail (previous attempt), but then once you got it started you pretty much sailed right up without any significant routefinding problems.

There's a particular distinctive mysterious sound I hear on hikes all the time, but it doesn't sound the way you described it. Oh, I just had a thought: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25320 :lol:

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » May 3rd, 2017, 6:58 am

StarryNight wrote:There was an odd bass-y guttural noise I kept hearing up there
That'll be grouse. Creepy, creepy grouse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aflOCSF37gU

(probably not going to hear much of anything if you're on a laptop--need decent bass)

StarryNight

Post by StarryNight » May 3rd, 2017, 7:35 am

Re: Chip Down: Oh my, yes, there was a dude among the hordes coming down from Horsetail falls with his iPhone in his pocket, music blaring out over the trails. A real outdoor experience LOL. You know, previously, before this last hike, I actually had a lot of goodwill and sympathy for the weekend stroller crowd in the gorge. It's beautiful, and why shouldn't they enjoy it? But something snapped, deep inside of me, during this last trip. Something about the sheer number of people, lined up, like we're walking through a mall or something. It is sad. And then you start to see the garbage. And the dogs. Love dogs generally. But.

Re: Squidvicious: Yesss!!!! That was it. Exactly. Wow. It is a creepy noise. I thought I was going to be attacked on the trail. This is good to know.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » May 3rd, 2017, 8:37 am

Not all that difficult? Hmmm. Perhaps compared to a mountain climb, but it is a scramble with significant exposure and elevation gain that would deter most hikers. I especially "liked" all of the elevation gain and route finding issues int he deep snow after conquering the cat walk (the more difficult of the two).

So, I guess your up for the Bud Young challenge: Mt. Defiance, Dog Mtn. and Table Mtn. in the same day. Personally, I never graduated past the mortal level and found two in the same weekend to be quite sufficient (back in the years when I was young).

Glad you you were able to mark it off your bucket list.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » May 3rd, 2017, 8:55 am

SN - glad to hear you finally got back to the Ridge of America. As you noted, it's really worn in these days - much more "trail" than not. Were the downed trees bad on the ROA trail? (I heard it's been cleaned up since last year - I haven't been on it since then.) Or was that more on Oneonta?
BigBear wrote:Not all that difficult? Hmmm. Perhaps compared to a mountain climb, but it is a scramble with significant exposure and elevation gain that would deter most hikers. I especially "liked" all of the elevation gain and route finding issues int he deep snow after conquering the cat walk (the more difficult of the two).
Fixed that for you. :) There's a well-beaten bail trail around the side of Devil's Backbone, so it's extremely unlikely anyone actually walks up the spine of it unless they're doing it intentionally for fun. The rest of ROA doesn't really have exposure. (And by "cat walk" were you referring to the Backbone? because otherwise, are you thinking of Ruckel Ridge? [When has ROA had "deep snow"? Except for maybe for a few days this past winter...])
So, I guess you're up for the Bud Young challenge: Mt. Defiance, Dog Mtn. and Table Mtn. in the same day.
Don't most people do a Triple D? I thought I was the only one who did a DDT since I didn't want to go up Devil's Rest... ;)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » May 3rd, 2017, 10:35 am

That's a great loop. Good chance of solitude on most of it, even on days where the main trail is just crawling with people. I had a bit of culture shock the last time I did it, after peacefully traversing thru those beautiful woods the OP mentioned, all by myself. Then I hit Oneonta Creek where there were about 50 people soaking in the creek trying to cool down (it was a 90+ degree day), and from there down to Triple Falls and down to the trailhead I probably encountered several hundred people. I think most of Portland was there that day.

I love hearing grouse booming. It's when they take wing right in front of you and you had no clue they were even there that scares the crap out of me. I've gotten really attuned to hearing that deep sound. I'll try to point it out to other people and they think I'm imagining things. Finally after several minutes and probably getting closer to the source they hear it too and then don't think I'm crazy anymore.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » May 3rd, 2017, 10:40 am

olderthanIusedtobe wrote:It's when they take wing right in front of you and you had no clue they were even there that scares the crap out of me.
Exactly. They wait until you're right on top of them and then explode. While the next one ten feet further down the trail sits tight and waits until you're right on top of him to do the same thing.

I'm pretty sure grouse exist for no other reason than to completely freak out hikers. The hooting is probably just their attempt to muffle their laughter.

olderthanIusedtobe

Post by olderthanIusedtobe » May 3rd, 2017, 11:17 am

Even better, I got bluff charged by a grouse one time. I assumed she had chicks hiding in the grass or bushes nearby. Luckily I was able to extricate myself without actually having to fight the grouse.

neilsonw

Post by neilsonw » May 3rd, 2017, 12:13 pm

What a funny coincidence, I heard a sooty grouse for the first time Monday morning down by Detroit Lake. Their call is so faint but rhythmic and distinct--always five notes I think. I thought I was hearing a leaning tree swaying or something.

Glad you tied up the loose ends at Rock of Ages :)