Ramona Falls update 5/3

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Ramona Falls update 5/3

Post by pdxgene » May 3rd, 2017, 8:33 pm

Snow melting fast. Snowshoes are a waste of time and effort to carry and not needed. Most of the snow is in the middle part of the trail though I did go in and out the much more scenic (in my opinion at least) Ramona Creek way so I don't know about the leg along the Sandy. But there was zero snow at the Guard Station cabin. The trail has been re-routed into the woods along the first leg and away from the Sandy. I wasn't really paying attention and all of a sudden I was wondering why the heck was I in the woods and how did I make a wrong turn when there are no turns...lol...
Crossing the Sandy is best on the same log as last year. There might be easier spots but they don't lead to a way out the other side.
I arrived around 8:15 to an empty parking lot. Saw my first solo hiker after 11 and only two other solo hikers on the way out. Thanks to everyone for going to the Gorge... :P
Pics here...
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/101 ... xcLHUqeyNS

Giles

Re: Ramona Falls update 5/3

Post by Giles » May 4th, 2017, 1:12 pm

I hiked it this Sunday up the PCT and then down the Ramona falls side. There was basically no snow on the PCT up until the junction with the Ramona falls cutoff. There was patches of snow up there up until the falls but nothing major. I was wearing trail runners and was fine. Came back down the Ramona Falls creek way and there was no snow until the horse fence at the bottom and then the cutoff trail back to the trailhead had a lot of patches of snow.

like you said, snowshoes would be a waste. I did it in trail runners and was 100% fine. Also, the road is as it usually is. Some potholes but nothing more than it was last summer.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » May 4th, 2017, 3:31 pm

I wouldn't want to be the poor sucker that hits those potholes a little fast not knowing they are there.... :lol:
A couple of those really ate well and grew over the winter..

naturallog

Post by naturallog » May 4th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Awesome UFO sighting!

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » May 19th, 2017, 3:03 pm

Was up there today. The snow is gone now. I put a couple footsteps in one little bit of snow on the trail down by the stockgate, where there were also patches off the trail, but apart from that and some patches well off trail in a few areas it's clear.

I was a little irked originally when the FS put permanent signs back at the bottom of the loop and directed people to go counter-clockwise. Going up that side had been my preference, partly because it had less people but partly because it's not very interesting, and I could motor through and try to get to the falls ahead of everyone who pulled in when I did. Which usually worked pretty well. But it dawned on me that this meant I might have the nicer creek side to myself, which is exactly how it worked today. Apart from a couple hikers at a distance as I looked back on the crossing, I didn't see anyone at all between the permit box and the falls. Nice!

The return worked out pretty well too, until I hit the crossing area. From that point it was all unleashed dogs and bluetooth speakers. And people who, from the opposite bank, wave you on to cross the river and then, while you're distracted working your way onto the log, decide to cross halfway and then just stand there blocking you.

The road was actually the best I remember it being. Sometime since I was there last it seemed like someone had come alone and filled most of the holes. I only had to steer around a couple of them.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » May 19th, 2017, 4:04 pm

They must have filled the potholes while putting up the signs as neither were done previously. I've never seen signs there directing people which way to go. Those are really new.
Plus the signs at the wilderness entry.....sigh.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYsBDmqJfjQ