Success After Failure on the Rock of Ages Loop Hike...

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
StarryNight

Re: Success After Failure on the Rock of Ages Loop Hike...

Post by StarryNight » May 3rd, 2017, 12:57 pm

BigBear wrote:Not all that difficult? Hmmm. Perhaps compared to a mountain climb, but it is a scramble with significant exposure and elevation gain that would deter most hikers. I especially "liked" all of the elevation gain and route finding issues int he deep snow after conquering the cat walk (the more difficult of the two).
You are totally correct re: deterring "most hikers," esp. the waterfall crowd. But for a committed hiker in good shape, it is do-able, in my opinion.
BigBear wrote: So, I guess your up for the Bud Young challenge: Mt. Defiance, Dog Mtn. and Table Mtn. in the same day. Personally, I never graduated past the mortal level and found two in the same weekend to be quite sufficient (back in the years when I was young).
Oh my, that would be amazing. I'd love to try it. Dog Mtn. is not bad, but I've heard these other two are difficult in terms of up up up etc.

StarryNight

Post by StarryNight » May 3rd, 2017, 1:02 pm

Bosterson wrote:SN - glad to hear you finally got back to the Ridge of America. As you noted, it's really worn in these days - much more "trail" than not. Were the downed trees bad on the ROA trail? (I heard it's been cleaned up since last year - I haven't been on it since then.) Or was that more on Oneonta?
I didn't think the downed trees were really a problem--there were downed trees all over the place--until the Oneonta section.
Bosterson wrote: There's a well-beaten bail trail around the side of Devil's Backbone, so it's extremely unlikely anyone actually walks up the spine of it unless they're doing it intentionally for fun. The rest of ROA doesn't really have exposure. (And by "cat walk" were you referring to the Backbone? because otherwise, are you thinking of Ruckel Ridge? [When has ROA had "deep snow"? Except for maybe for a few days this past winter...])
You are correct--the "catwalk" was totally avoidable (and indeed I avoided it). Any part of the hike, actually, that seemed reasonably dangerous had an alt-user-trail work-around, it seemed. I took the work-arounds every time! :) When people compare ROA to Munra, I would say the Munra spine/catwalk was far safer than trying to tip-toe on the short ROA spine area. In fact, now that Munra has become a tourist trap (still fun, but a tourist trap), I think ROA should be viewed as the more accessible, difficult, and glorious hike of the two!! I'm still high from the hike, what can I say.

dmc

Post by dmc » May 8th, 2017, 4:01 pm

(3) The downed tree problem...is a problem. They are everywhere. And the last few miles before Triple Falls was downright annoying on that front. It's not so bad when there are a few downed trees in the forest. But the downed trees on the descent along Oneonta Creek were obnoxious. Parts of the trail were like a mini-waterfall, running right down along the trail itself. Then again, when you're getting tired, everything is a hassle.
Haha. :). I did this hike for the first time on Saturday (5/6) and that stretch right before triple falls felt more like a jungle gym than a hiking trail. The first few miles of this hike were at least as difficult as Heartbreak Ridge on Table Mt. that I did the weekend prior. The little wild flowers near Devil's Backbone were very lovely.

Tough amazing hike. Make sure to bring a couple PB&Js! :)

arlohike

Post by arlohike » May 15th, 2017, 7:54 pm

Thanks for the report. I did this loop for the first time last year, and was thinking of doing it again this month, and wondering what shape it was in.

When you mention lots of downed trees before Triple Falls, do you mean north or south of the falls? I've been up the Oneonta Trail from the highway to about a mile south of the falls recently, and don't recall any significant problems. Maybe you're talking about the section further south.

Also, I've been startled by those big birds twice this winter and wondered if they were grouse, but couldn't get a good look at them. Both times it happened I spent a long time peering into the area they flew to, to try seeing them again, but failed. I didn't go so far as to follow and try to flush them out. But it's nice to have a confirmation of what they were.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

BigBear

Post by BigBear » May 16th, 2017, 8:55 am

Bosterson is correct, I was thinking of Ruckel Ridge. Rock of Ages is steep, but rather straight-forward by comparison. The biggest problem I had the last time I did RoR was getting traction in a couple of the more worn sections of steep grade.

Even though I have acrophobia, I found Devils Backbone to be the most interesting place on the trail. It's the only good view whether you return along Oneonta Creek or Nesmith Point.

StarryNight

Post by StarryNight » May 16th, 2017, 3:56 pm

arlohike wrote:Thanks for the report. I did this loop for the first time last year, and was thinking of doing it again this month, and wondering what shape it was in. When you mention lots of downed trees before Triple Falls, do you mean north or south of the falls? I've been up the Oneonta Trail from the highway to about a mile south of the falls recently, and don't recall any significant problems. Maybe you're talking about the section further south.
Overall, unless something weirdly changed in a few weeks, the trail is in great shape overall. Not always in every place, though. Indeed, the section where I thought the downed trees were the biggest trail-condition problem--they are everywhere, but not always a problem--was descending along the Oneonta Creek approaching Triple Falls (yes, must be farther south then you went, because you definitely would have noticed, I think...indeed, the problem begins maybe 1.5 miles or so south of Triple Falls?). I just looked on GoogleMaps and uploaded a screen-shot with markings here--I did the ROA loop clockwise, and my recollection was that the downed tree area I hated wasn't right away after turning right from the Horsetail Falls trail to head north toward Triple Falls, but it wasn't right by Triple Falls, either. I did the loop clockwise to avoid having to come down the steep section that would then be leading down from the Rock of Ages itself, but if you go counter-clockwise, you'll encounter the downed-tree area I'm describing going uphill along the Oneonta toward the Horsetail Falls trails junction. It is also quite possible that it wouldn't have been that bad for someone in better shape, or if encountered going uphill nearer the beginning of a hike like that...for me, it all was a mockery of my conditioning. A lot of very sharp thorn branches butting into the trail during this section I'm describing, as well. Good luck, and come back here and let me know if you thought it was a problem! :)
Attachments
Downed tree area by Oneonta Creek.png

arlohike

Post by arlohike » May 20th, 2017, 10:56 pm

Thanks for the info! I'm going tomorrow and appreciate knowing there might be some challenges in that section.

arlohike

Post by arlohike » May 21st, 2017, 9:07 pm

Actually I ended up coming back on the Horsetail Ridge instead of the Oneonta Trail, but thanks again in any case!

EThiker

Post by EThiker » May 21st, 2017, 9:36 pm

Thanks for the trip report. It helped us decide to go for it this morning.

We ended up staying on the east side of Oneonta creek all the way until Triple Falls. I'm not sure why the trail guide advises crossing immediately except for maybe the camp site or solitude... The trail on the east side was still pretty quiet and it was very well maintained. Fording the creek today would have been difficult (for me anyway)...

On a side note, if anyone out there finds a black cell phone somewhere around the switchbacks section coming down Horsetail Creek Trail, please let me know!

StarryNight

Post by StarryNight » May 22nd, 2017, 12:42 pm

arlohike wrote:Actually I ended up coming back on the Horsetail Ridge instead of the Oneonta Trail, but thanks again in any case!
Nice! I just read your trip report. If it's not one thing, it's another.