Dog Mountain snow-free but pre-bloom

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mrblisterdundee

Dog Mountain snow-free but pre-bloom

Post by mrblisterdundee » April 23rd, 2017, 7:56 pm

After wussing out on the Pacific Crest approach to Table Mountain, me and my hiking buddy opted for a quick trip up Dog Mountain. The top was snow-free but still pre-bloom, with some small patches of red paintbrush and blue lupine. I bought some used MSR snow shoes at Next Adventure today. Next weekend's adventure on Mount St. Helens should be a little more exciting.
Attachments
Dog Mountain 1.jpg
The top of Dog Mountain was snow-free but still pre-bloom.

Double Tree

Re: Dog Mountain snow-free but pre-bloom

Post by Double Tree » April 24th, 2017, 7:42 pm

Thank you for the update! I know this crowd tends to avoid the bloom frenzy, but I like it! I like seeing happy people on the trail. I just get there early to avoid the parking problems.
Kelly

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 24th, 2017, 10:24 pm

Double Tree wrote:I know this crowd tends to avoid the bloom frenzy
I don't think that's quite true... it's just that the ones who avoid the frenzy are more vocal about it. :)

mrblisterdundee

Post by mrblisterdundee » April 27th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Double Tree wrote:Thank you for the update! I know this crowd tends to avoid the bloom frenzy, but I like it! I like seeing happy people on the trail. I just get there early to avoid the parking problems.
Kelly
Same here. Just make the sacrifice, go to bed early, and get on the trail by 6 or 7 a.m.

drm

Post by drm » April 28th, 2017, 6:15 am

mrblisterdundee wrote:Same here. Just make the sacrifice, go to bed early, and get on the trail by 6 or 7 a.m.
I prefer the opposite. Get to the trailhead when you early arrivers are leaving. This means that the closest-in parking spots are opening up. Head up as others are heading down. I think the light angle on the flower meadows are better with late sun than early sun too, since they face SW.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 7th, 2017, 5:53 am

drm wrote:
mrblisterdundee wrote:Same here. Just make the sacrifice, go to bed early, and get on the trail by 6 or 7 a.m.
I prefer the opposite. Get to the trailhead when you early arrivers are leaving. This means that the closest-in parking spots are opening up. Head up as others are heading down. I think the light angle on the flower meadows are better with late sun than early sun too, since they face SW.
Ha! Exactly. We had the entire summit area to ourselves at 4pm on a weekend last spring during peak bloom. Shhhhhhhhhh!!! ;) :lol:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 7th, 2017, 4:17 pm

mrblisterdundee wrote: Just make the sacrifice, go to bed early, and get on the trail by 6 or 7 a.m.
Six or seven AM?! :shock:
Damn, only reason I'd ever get to a TH that late is if I'm fighting influenza :lol:
drm wrote:I prefer the opposite. Get to the trailhead when you early arrivers are leaving. This means that the closest-in parking spots are opening up. Head up as others are heading down. I think the light angle on the flower meadows are better with late sun than early sun too, since they face SW.
Totally sensible strategy for a quick add-on hike at the end of the day...quick dash up Dog to watch the sunset, then descend by headlamp.

edit: Just remembered, I once saw the DM TH virtually empty on a sunny summer afternoon...it was a bit warm though, over 100F.