Multnomah Basin 2017/4/21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
klossner

Multnomah Basin 2017/4/21

Post by klossner » April 22nd, 2017, 11:40 am

I took advantage of the sunshine to go for a wander. At 10am on a Friday in April, Multnomah Falls was packed with people. The crowds diminished somewhat beyond the top of the falls. The only ice I touched all day was just south of Dutchman Tunnel:
Icy Trail.jpg
I followed Multnomah Basin Road north and east. Somebody has started an Easter egg trail just east of the Christmas ornament trail:
Easter Eggs.jpg
I visited Bickel Point for the view. It was crowded with a rock-climbing class.
I headed up the connector trail to Franklin Ridge. It's blocked by one tree but is otherwise in good shape. Then down to the creek and back onto the road to the junction with the Devils Rest trail, then around Devils Rest and return by way of Wahkeena. Somebody is maintaining the flowers at the base of the Primrose Trail:
Primrose.jpg
Normally-sedate streams and creeks are swollen and rushing. The start of the Vista Ridge trail is a creek bed:
Vista Point junction.jpg
The trillium are at their peak throughout the area. Wild roses are just starting to bloom where they get sunshine, especially around Lemmon's Viewpoint.

pablo

Re: Multnomah Basin 2017/4/21

Post by pablo » April 22nd, 2017, 12:42 pm

I was just wondering about this area, thx for the update, I think I'll do a leg stretcher up that way tomorrow. Nice that Primrose gets some love.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

arlohike

Post by arlohike » April 25th, 2017, 11:55 am

Did you have any problem crossing that snow near Dutchman's Tunnel? I remember that completely obscuring the trail a month ago and people were just climbing straight up the switchbacks.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

Peder

Post by Peder » April 26th, 2017, 7:57 am

arlohike wrote:Did you have any problem crossing that snow near Dutchman's Tunnel? I remember that completely obscuring the trail a month ago and people were just climbing straight up the switchbacks.
It is no problem now, it will soon be gone.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

BigBear

Post by BigBear » April 27th, 2017, 11:21 am

Not sure what's spooky about an old car on Multnomah Basin. There used to be roads and a homestead up in that area. Actually there still is a road, but you need a key to the gate.

What's spooky to me is that these areas used to be open and now they are not. For example, I hiked with people who remember driving their car up to Aldrich Butte to take in the sunset, and now you can't even hike there because of private property restrictions. That is spooky!

As for the initial tone of the thread: the mossy, foggy forests bringing on thoughts of Edgar Allen Poe novels coming to life... The human mind turns every sound in the forest into grizzly bears, cougars and other horrible meat-eating beasts. Well, yes, you are being watched. Every hike you walk, a thousand eyes are staring you down, watching your every move. While you are turning nervously, expecting to see a bear that has been created in your mind... the reality is that it's a squirrel or bird that is wondering about YOUR evil intentions.

Don't worry about a snap of a twig or a thumping on the ground being a cougar. It won't be a cougar. The big cat will hit you without a sound. How's that for painting an eerie picture?
http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/posti ... =8&t=25291#

BigBear

Post by BigBear » April 27th, 2017, 11:25 am

Ignore my previous post - there were two strings about Multnomah Basin. This is the wrong one.