Mt. Defiance Loop Snow 4-16-17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jack

Mt. Defiance Loop Snow 4-16-17

Post by Jack » April 18th, 2017, 1:52 pm

Mt. Adams

Thought I’d meander up the Starvation Ridge Tr. and see how the conditions were. I wasn’t disappointed as there is plenty of new snow on a hard base up above Warren Lake. Perfect for a good snowshoe.

Headed up the Starvation Ridge tr. and I ran into a Mazamas BCEP group just below the powerline viewpoint, who took a premature break just to let me by. Thank you, ladies!

Got up to the 2400’ viewpoint on a very good tread.

Hit snow at 2800’ and put on the microspikes for the traverse and switchbacks leading up to the talus slope which had a well trodden path across it.

Caught a nice glimpse of a lenticular on top of Adams…

…before heading up to the 3800’ plateau. Pretty much broke my own trail from here on, although I did see a footprint or two on occasion.

Destination Defiance – Put the snowshoes on here.

Warren Lake

Went pretty much direct up the talus slopes above the lake and stayed southeast of the loop trail, which is in blue.

Viento Ridge

Image[/url]

Warren Lake

Finally reached a talus slope I was familiar with on the west side of the trail and made a beeline for the summit.

Dove off the north side for a fun and scenic descent down the Defiance Tr. side.

It was a fun day, but I expect the snow on those rocks are going to be melting off pretty fast, so I’m glad I got up there on a good day. Around 11.6 miles/5100’ EG.

The track for this hike is red and the track for the summertime hiking trail is blue:

Click to enlarge
TOPO!map.JPG
Last edited by Jack on April 18th, 2017, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosterson

Re: Mt. Defiance Loop Snow 4-16-17

Post by Bosterson » April 18th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Jack wrote: Image

You didn't mention that the snow on the summit is over the top of the fence and almost to the top of the buildings. I think that's the most snow I've ever seen up there!! Especially the first pic - I'm used to climbing the ladder to get up there, now it looks like you could just step from the snow straight to the roof! :shock:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Jack

Post by Jack » April 18th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Yeah, Nat, I guess I forgot to mention snow depth. As on the north side of the building, there was a small gap melted out from the apparently warmer walls, so it would have been tough getting up there without the ladder. I do remember going up there one time with my snowshoes on shortly after they built that structure, but I don’t remember what year it was. I couldn’t tell how deep the snow was going up the mountain, because the tree wells weren’t bottoming out the way they usually do by now. The foot or so of fresh snow on a hard base sure made it nice for snowshoeing that last 1000' of EG, though.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » April 19th, 2017, 11:55 am

Great pictures, Jack. Thanks!
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

nsutherl

Post by nsutherl » April 22nd, 2017, 7:25 am

Great route! Amazing views as well, with the clouds framing the mountains.