A waterfall or two

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Re: .

Post by Sean Thomas » April 12th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Thanks for the kind responses everyone. I'm actually flattered, as I always kind of assumed people were tired of reading my reports. I'm a pretty sensitive guy, so when someone I respect says they believe I cheated at something, it hurts to a degree. I pour my heart and soul into these adventures, and even though I like to make light of them with poor attempts at humor, I take them pretty seriously. Regardless, this is the internet and I'll be the first to admit I could use a thicker skin. But when some 150-200 people read what you've written and the only response is the guy who says, "pretty impressive, BUT", well, it just sort of reinforced why I don't post much anymore, as petty as that may seem. Also, I don't think anyone was hating. It will be fun to go back and get more next time.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 12th, 2017, 8:50 pm

I can't believe you deleted this! I was going to reply simply with :shock: or something as I was tremendously impressed, but since for me five miles is a very long hike and I didn't figure that my amazement was worth a lot, I didn't.

IslandCougGirl

Post by IslandCougGirl » April 12th, 2017, 10:32 pm

I thought your post was freaking awesome Sean!! I sympathize with your feelings about your father; it will be 7 years this month that my mom passed away. She was unable to travel like she dreamed of due to being sick so I'm trying to do that while I'm still young and able because we don't know what the future holds. I don't want to look back at my life and say I wish I would have done that. So kudos and keep killing those trails and keep the posts coming cause I love reading them.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 12th, 2017, 10:46 pm

For those of us who missed the original post, will someone please explain what "cheating" was supposed to have happened (or not)?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 13th, 2017, 12:04 am

Sean visited 51 waterfalls in a single day. To reach that total he included a few "drive up" falls "like Horsetail and Multnomah" -- strangely I thought I recall him also describing this as "a bit of cheating" so I'm not sure why he took the following comment hard. I took both in jest as clearly this "bit of cheating" was truly minor compared to the considerable effort spent reaching the rest on foot. I hope the report is restored because I quite enjoyed it.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 13th, 2017, 4:56 am

Sean Thomas wrote:But when some 150-200 people read what you've written and the only response is the guy who says, "pretty impressive, BUT",
I was one of those 150-200 people. I didn't post a reply simply due to my own lack of imagination: all I could think of was something boringly predictable. Bryan's response was, of course, anything but boringly predictable, but I'm guessing it was more in jest than anything malicious. Oh well, such is the online medium . . .

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » April 13th, 2017, 5:19 am

Damnit, I missed it too! Had to hear from Mayhem that Seans TR went all Geostyler dotted! :(

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 13th, 2017, 5:25 am

I read most reports but I usually don't comment, I don't want to be Scott on the SNL Louis C.K. skit :) Well, too late for that :lol:

I think if that comment about "cheating" was made in person, both people would have had a good laugh, nothing mean intended.

This thread is actually better than other threads because it shows real feelings. Lessons to learn. I think maybe there's hope for mankind after all...

Do you mind, Sean, if someone resurrects that? I don't know how, but I suspect someone else does.

Sean Thomas

Re: A waterfall or two

Post by Sean Thomas » April 13th, 2017, 7:03 am

Well, if I'm good for anything its a bit of drama. Webfoot is right, I'm not really sure why it bothered me so much. Fortunately I copy and paste every report as I'm writing it as to not lose it to being logged out by the time I press post. So I put it back up. My apologies to Bryan and the rest of you for the confusion, although it did spice things up for the moment I'd say. Anyway, thanks for all the consideration everyone. As Jerry said, lessons learned.

retired jerry

Re: A waterfall or two

Post by retired jerry » April 13th, 2017, 7:34 am

nice

I like that you left the "offensive" part in and added "basically I cheated" so we'll all understand what the kerfuffle was