GoalTech hikes Drift Creek Falls in the pouring rain

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mjirving

GoalTech hikes Drift Creek Falls in the pouring rain

Post by mjirving » March 26th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Drift Creek Falls
"Hiking in the mud and pouring rain"

3/26/17

Miles: 3.50
Time: 1 hr, 40 min
Avg MPH: 2.2
Elev Min: 680'
Elev Max: 1,020'
Total Vertical: 935'
Elev Change: 0'
Temp Low: 45
Temp High: 45
Other hikers: ~100
Longest time without seeing a hiker: 0:20
Wildlife: Deer (while driving near the trailhead)

Opening Shot:

The trailhead for Drift Creek Falls is just over a 1/2 hour from Lincoln City on a paved road all the way.  That is...unless you blindly follow your GPS to "save" a few minutes.  If you do that it might be about a 20-minute longer drive that includes 8 miles of gravel road. #whenwillIeverlearn

It's a decent sized trailhead with pit toilets and a $5 day-pass required or NW Forest Pass.  I'd imagine this would be packed on a nice day as it was almost full on a pouring rain day.

I headed down the rain-soaked, mud-infused track glad that I had my trekking poles even for this short hike to strategically leap puddles and to keep from slipping on the downhill track.

The muddy trail descended gradually down toward Drift Creek.  There was some info at the trailhead saying there was a bridge before the falls.  I crossed a small wood bridge over a trickle of a stream and figured that it must have been the one.  Well, was I wrong on that one! There was an incredible 240'-long suspension bridge 100' above the creek that is more like a river.

The bridge is dedicated to trail builder Scott Paul who died in a tragic accident during its construction.

The bridge was amazing in its sturdiness and views.  It was a perfect view down to Drift Creek Falls.

On the opposite side were more views of the falls and a social trail down to a big rock directly across from the falls.  I instead took the real trail down a switchback to the creek level and stepped out onto the rocks.

There were great views up to the falls and bridge.  I could have shimmied under a tree to get on that same rock that the others went straight down to, but the view didn't look that much different and I didn't want to mess with my umbrella rigging on my backpack.

My strapped-on umbrella did well in the pouring rain as there was about a 1/2" forecasted for today.

Back up and over the bridge I went into the trees.  This was the typical trail and view for the bulk of the trail.

There was another crossing of the creek that wasn't quite so dramatic.

I took the "North Loop" alternate on the way back that added about a 1/2-mile to the round trip, but it was also a much drier trail (relatively speaking).

I got back and headed out on the correct road which was much better quality!  I highly recommend it.  :-)

Here is my track for the hike with GPS track link below:
http://gpsfly.org/a/6971

It was a great hike and my first on the coastline!

-Mike (aka GoalTech)
www.GoalTechHikes.com
Instagram @GoalTechHikes

Chazz

Re: GoalTech hikes Drift Creek Falls in the pouring rain

Post by Chazz » March 27th, 2017, 10:28 am

I've never heard of those falls but it looks awesome. Probably much more impressive with the high waterflow than without but cool none the less.

What is the drive time out to there from Portland?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 27th, 2017, 10:31 am

Thanks for the TR and photos. Another hike for my ever lengthening to-do list.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

mjirving

Post by mjirving » March 27th, 2017, 10:52 am

From Portland would be about 2 hours. There is a cutoff to it on Hwy 18 before you get to Lincoln City. If you're in Lincoln City then you approach from the south side of the city and it's about a half hour.

Mike

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » March 28th, 2017, 9:54 am

Whew, muddy! And wow, the falls are really going after all that rain we've had!

All those rocks in the splash pool are from a big rockslide back in 2010. Here is what it looked like prior to that, from a July 2008 visit:

mjirving

Post by mjirving » March 28th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Wow...very cool Cheryl! Thanks for that history lesson, that's pretty fresh.

Mike

romann

Post by romann » April 1st, 2017, 12:33 pm

Looks like a neat hike, especially now with so much water! Thanks for posting, will remember to check it out when I'm in the area.

And on Cheryl's 2008 photo, that rock looks very undercut! I can recall several falls with a big cavern underneath, good to remember these things won't hold like that forever :?