Silver star north ridge - March 19th, 2017

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Silver star north ridge - March 19th, 2017

Post by Don Nelsen » March 21st, 2017, 2:12 pm

I've been wanting to do this hike for a couple of weeks and finally got the chance this past Sunday. I was hoping this last few days of relatively warm rain would have melted out the approaches, and it has, to a point. The 1100 road is in great shape with hardly a pothole so that was good to find. The final approach, the infamous 2 1/2 miles of the 4109 road is as full of ruts, water bars and potholes as ever but is only snow-free for the first 1.2 miles. Another 1/2 mile of deeply rutted snow will lead you to a nice snow-free side road off to the west if you can get that far. (Good clearance and 4WD a good idea!)

A couple of cars were stuck at 1.4 miles so rather than wait them out, I turned my car around and parked at that point. They were unstuck and gone by the time I put my gear together but I knew I wasn't going to get very much farther anyway so left the car where it was parked and took off.

The road uphill of where we parked looked like this:

It could be way worse though. Here is very nearly the same spot on April 30th, 2008!

Once out of the trees, the views were wonderful:

The snow was minimal where the wind prevents a build up but the drifting onto the road and trail cuts kept us to the ridge line for most of the way:

The trail/road had virtually disappeared uphill from here:

The previous nights freeze made the snow firm and with just micro spikes, I was able to keep from postholing most of the way. Kelly's 99 lbs aren't enough to even make a dent!

Here's Kelly on one of the few sections where we had to do an angled traverse. Still not too bad.

Once on top, we ran into a half dozen other folks that had come up either from the south or in one case, up Star Ridge. (Way to go, Rex7!) Someone had left a 50 lb. barbell set at the summit and some of us had some fun playing with it. I have no idea what the tiger is all about!

On the way back down:

6.8 miles, 1700' vertical

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

pablo

Re: Silver star north ridge - March 19th, 2017

Post by pablo » March 21st, 2017, 4:49 pm

Thx Don for the report and photos. Nice to know someone went up the Starway, I was thinking about that the other day. We all got spoiled the past couple of years with the low snowpack - I remember 2008 very clearly, that was a snowpack for the ages.

As for the dumbbell photo, some would say "why" others would say "why not."

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » March 22nd, 2017, 10:58 am

That looks like a fun outing. Great pictures. There are some pretty drastic differences in snow cover on what I assume are north vs south facing sides of ridges. It looks like things are melting out pretty quickly overall though.

Charley

Post by Charley » March 22nd, 2017, 11:45 am

Don Nelsen wrote: Once on top, we ran into a half dozen other folks that had come up either from the south or in one case, up Star Ridge. (Way to go, Rex7!) Someone had left a 50 lb. barbell set at the summit and some of us had some fun playing with it. I have no idea what the tiger is all about!
One guess: Mazamas. :)
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 22nd, 2017, 4:24 pm

pablo wrote:Thx Don for the report and photos. Nice to know someone went up the Starway, I was thinking about that the other day. We all got spoiled the past couple of years with the low snowpack - I remember 2008 very clearly, that was a snowpack for the ages.

As for the dumbbell photo, some would say "why" others would say "why not."

--Paul
Amen Paul: Why not!

I think this years snowpack will be gone much before that legendary 2008 one. (I hope) We will see.

Anytime you'd like to do Starway, let's do it together.

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 22nd, 2017, 4:26 pm

sgyoung wrote:That looks like a fun outing. Great pictures. There are some pretty drastic differences in snow cover on what I assume are north vs south facing sides of ridges. It looks like things are melting out pretty quickly overall though.
Thanks for the comment and compliments. Let's hope the melt-out is faster than some notorious years past!

dn

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 22nd, 2017, 4:30 pm

Charley wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote: Once on top, we ran into a half dozen other folks that had come up either from the south or in one case, up Star Ridge. (Way to go, Rex7!) Someone had left a 50 lb. barbell set at the summit and some of us had some fun playing with it. I have no idea what the tiger is all about!
One guess: Mazamas. :)
Thanks for the comment. I don't think the folks coming up from the south were Mazamas, though. One of them had come up in rubber booties, of all things and I don't remember any of them having on spikes. Great to see lots of folks enjoying the day, in any event.

dn

Motoxerdad

Post by Motoxerdad » April 1st, 2017, 7:45 pm

That guy holdin the bar bell looks like he's wearin Sportiva Baturas :shock:
That's pretty fancy for Silver Star :-))