Catherine/Coyote, 19 Mar 2017

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Re: Catherine/Coyote, 19 Mar 2017

Post by drm » March 23rd, 2017, 6:31 am

If you drive all the way out there from Portland (90 minutes I would guess for most) and the parking is full, it's not like there is another choice nearby. The new TH parking at Coyote Wall fills on uncrowded days and the unplanned parking at Hwy 8 is getting more popular.

Remember Dog Mtn last year? I'm guessing the flower season at Coyote-Labyrinth-Catherine is going to be similar, even though it doesn't have anything to match Dog Mountains sea of balsamroot. That's right, just tell everybody it's overrated. Go to Dog Mtn. After all, they have a bus. :twisted:

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 23rd, 2017, 11:54 am

Also, there are a LOT more mountain bikers out there. I might be wrong, but I have the impression that there have been bikes there since early days. Of course with the outdoor-centric throngs moving to Oregon & SW Washington, there are bound to be more of them. Last year, hikers were almost outnumbered by the bikes. I don't mind them, in fact, I want to ride out there this year. Just an observation, and a model for how the trails can support multiple users.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

-Q-

Post by -Q- » March 24th, 2017, 5:53 pm

miah66 wrote:Also, there are a LOT more mountain bikers out there. I might be wrong, but I have the impression that there have been bikes there since early days. Of course with the outdoor-centric throngs moving to Oregon & SW Washington, there are bound to be more of them. Last year, hikers were almost outnumbered by the bikes. I don't mind them, in fact, I want to ride out there this year. Just an observation, and a model for how the trails can support multiple users.
You are not wrong at all, you are totally right. That whole place was basically built by bikers. I consider it their turf, and am happy we are allowed to hike there too.

chiefWright

Post by chiefWright » March 29th, 2017, 6:54 pm

-Q- wrote:
miah66 wrote:Also, there are a LOT more mountain bikers out there. I might be wrong, but I have the impression that there have been bikes there since early days. Of course with the outdoor-centric throngs moving to Oregon & SW Washington, there are bound to be more of them. Last year, hikers were almost outnumbered by the bikes. I don't mind them, in fact, I want to ride out there this year. Just an observation, and a model for how the trails can support multiple users.
You are not wrong at all, you are totally right. That whole place was basically built by bikers. I consider it their turf, and am happy we are allowed to hike there too.
CGNSA is doing a good job designating biker/hiker/horseback routes in the area, though the plan is still not quite set in stone. Hopefully it will be made clear soon. Atwood is for everybody. Hiker/biker from Rowland wall west (Coyote/Labyrinth). Hiker only from Rowland wall east (Catherine).

And there ARE other options in the area. Drive a bit further and you're on the Klickitat trail. A bit further yet and there's Cherry Orchard / Convict road. A bit further is the three benches in the Ortley pinnacle area. A bit further yet is Columbia Hills. There's LOTS of options on the east side, ya just gotta go looking.

Though Catherine/Coyote is just so unique, there's really nothing else like it.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 29th, 2017, 7:59 pm

chiefWright wrote:And there ARE other options in the area.
the-cat-out-the-bag.jpg