Hamilton Mountain Trail Closed

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
beag

Re: Hamilton Mountain Trail Closed

Post by beag » March 17th, 2017, 11:50 am

About 15 years ago Dick Thomas wanted to establish a trail from the Cabin to the first 4 way junction on the Equestrian trail. There's a very nice tread there, much better than the road. I walked it with Dick and the Ranger. They liked the idea but where the cabin is was private and may still be, so they did no more about the trail.

Guy

Post by Guy » March 17th, 2017, 12:56 pm

beag wrote:About 15 years ago Dick Thomas wanted to establish a trail from the Cabin to the first 4 way junction on the Equestrian trail. There's a very nice tread there, much better than the road. I walked it with Dick and the Ranger. They liked the idea but where the cabin is was private and may still be, so they did no more about the trail.
Yeah, I've walked this too, it would be a nice connector trail between the two systems.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 18th, 2017, 10:47 am

Guy wrote:
beag wrote:About 15 years ago Dick Thomas wanted to establish a trail from the Cabin to the first 4 way junction on the Equestrian trail. There's a very nice tread there, much better than the road. I walked it with Dick and the Ranger. They liked the idea but where the cabin is was private and may still be, so they did no more about the trail.
Yeah, I've walked this too, it would be a nice connector trail between the two systems.
Absolutely! It's a wonderful forest through there, and there are lots of naturally graded options. (Seems even some old roadbeds?) Still three private parcels back there, one of which is crossed by the main Hamilton trail already, which could be avoided in order to make the full loop option a reality for most.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Elwedritsche

Post by Elwedritsche » March 19th, 2017, 5:57 pm

I believe the bridge is right after Rodney Falls, if my memory does not fail me.
Are there any obstacles to reach the pool of winds, and peek around the rock? Am planning on a shorter easier hike, would be nice to be able to hike this.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 20th, 2017, 6:02 am

Elwedritsche wrote:Are there any obstacles to reach the pool of winds, and peek around the rock?
A few weeks ago, no, nothing major. There's a fallen log you have to hurdle near the trailhead, but other than just a few muddy spots as I recall.
    Before the powerlines, Feb 25. Might've been cleared already?
If that looks at all troubling, the upper route from the campground would likely be a better option.
Karl

Elwedritsche

Post by Elwedritsche » March 20th, 2017, 6:43 pm

Thanks!

Ryan Ojerio

Post by Ryan Ojerio » March 24th, 2017, 6:03 am

Park Manager Heath asked me to look at an option for a new connector trail that would allow people to park at the Equestrian TH and get to Rodney Falls. I scouted a line and we are hoping to get the permitting process going this year.

See: https://caltopo.com/m/1AKM

The USFS parcel in there is a possible obstacle to permitting, but avoiding it creates some steep grades that could be a maintenance headache in the future.
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 24th, 2017, 6:12 am

Ryan Ojerio wrote:Park Manager Heath asked me to look at an option for a new connector trail that would allow people to park at the Equestrian TH and get to Rodney Falls. I scouted a line and we are hoping to get the permitting process going this year.

The USFS parcel in there is a possible obstacle to permitting, but avoiding it creates some steep grades that could be a maintenance headache in the future.
Very cool! That blue dotted line is a beautiful route that's long overdue. That'll open up so many wonderful options!
Karl

-Q-

Post by -Q- » March 24th, 2017, 5:47 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Ryan Ojerio wrote:Park Manager Heath asked me to look at an option for a new connector trail that would allow people to park at the Equestrian TH and get to Rodney Falls. I scouted a line and we are hoping to get the permitting process going this year.

Very cool! That blue dotted line is a beautiful route that's long overdue. That'll open up so many wonderful options!

Uggggg.... And result in the already too crowded equestrian trailhead to get even more overrun. I don't like this change at all. One can already hike from the equestrian TH to the falls using the hardy creek trail. A shorter route is not needed at all.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 25th, 2017, 6:05 am

-Q- wrote:Uggggg.... And result in the already too crowded equestrian trailhead to get even more overrun. I don't like this change at all. One can already hike from the equestrian TH to the falls using the hardy creek trail. A shorter route is not needed at all.
Huh? I don't think this is about "shorter" routes, at all. To me, the equestrian TH seems almost entirely (certainly relatively) unused. I actually think this new option will decrease use of that TH even further, too. Why? Because it opens up far more glorious loops from the main TH! Something like this one done New Years Day a few years ago...
Only 14.5 miles and 4250', tagging both Hardy and Hammy! :)
Karl