Home  •   Field Guide  •   Forums  •   Unread Posts  •   Maps  •   Find a Hike!  •    Register  •   Search  •  
Jump to:  
Login  | 

Board index » Trips » Trip Reports

Post subject: Hamilton Mountain Trail Closed
 Post Posted: March 14th, 2017, 8:58 am 

refer to Beacon Rock St Pk for pictures:

http://parks.state.wa.us/AlertCenter.aspx?AID=1421

February 27, 2017 Trail Closures

The Beacon Rock Trail is currently closed due to storm damage and should reopen within the next two weeks. The Hamilton Mountain Trail is open to the Rodney Falls bridge. Due to trail damage the trail is closed just past the bridge until trail repairs can be made.

The website infers that the trail should be fixed by now, but Mazamas just posted a notice to its leaders today not to use this trail until repairs have been made.

Post subject: Re: Hamilton Mountain Trail Closed
 Post Posted: March 14th, 2017, 9:46 am 

It's a mess, but really not too bad. We got through just fine a day before they "closed" it. I've inquired whether they were concerned about additional trail damage, hence the closure, and they responded, "Public safety is our main concern." Personally, I'd have no qualms at all going back.

Looking down on the rootball that took out the trail.

Just takes a bit of gymnastics, that's all.

:D

(Tracks · Photos · PortlandHikers)

Post Posted: March 14th, 2017, 10:59 am 

This trail has erosion concerns even in the best of times. Not surprising they closed it.

Instagram @pdxstrider

Post Posted: March 14th, 2017, 11:06 am 

miah66 wrote:
This trail has erosion concerns even in the best of times. Not surprising they closed it.

Exactly why I asked. Wanted to give them a chance to say just that, because otherwise it would seem to be a hysterical over-reaction to a bit of mud and a closure unlikely to be widely respected. (I think Ryan's crew may need to do another staircase, like they did on the opposite side. Probably the only solution with much hope there?)

Post Posted: March 14th, 2017, 11:18 am 

keepNW - nice picture of slide from above, but in all honesty, your action video of how to get over the railing only serves to support the closure of the trail. When you think of how many people use this trail on a weekend day (e.g. parking lot is full by 8 am if the weather is nice), I'd hate to think of what the slope would look like with that much impact or how long that railing will support the weight of so many bodies before giving way.

Post Posted: March 14th, 2017, 3:32 pm 

I think state parks have the lowest threshold for closing due to damage and dangers, and that is pretty close to the TH. I guess Multnomah Falls closes pretty easily. It depends on who the user base is. Remote trails are almost never closed - if you're able to get there, you're able to decide if you can deal with the conditions.

Post Posted: March 14th, 2017, 4:37 pm 

BigBear wrote:
keepNW - nice picture of slide from above, but in all honesty, your action video of how to get over the railing only serves to support the closure of the trail. When you think of how many people use this trail on a weekend day (e.g. parking lot is full by 8 am if the weather is nice), I'd hate to think of what the slope would look like with that much impact or how long that railing will support the weight of so many bodies before giving way.

You could very well be right. There are lots of folks who probably should not attempt to get through there. The fence posts/rails are very solid, what with that tree holding them right there in place. (I actually went between, rather than over, myself. Far easier!) My assessment at the time was that if one couldn't navigate that mess, they probably weren't fit enough to make it to the summit either.

Post Posted: March 14th, 2017, 6:00 pm 

It's a shame there's not, you know, some sort of feasible offtrail route to the top of Hamilton. ;)

Post Posted: March 14th, 2017, 6:21 pm 

Well, there are ways to do this. Here is a GPS track from about five years ago of a loop I did. Lots of options to summit Hamilton but that was not my goal. There were lots of possibilities as I traversed the east flank of the peak though they were all very steep. I could not do the south face without serious tech gear but it should be doable given that.

DN

Post Posted: March 14th, 2017, 6:32 pm 

Don Nelsen wrote:
Well, there are ways to do this. Here is a GPS track from about five years ago of a loop I did. Lots of options to summit Hamilton but that was not my goal. There were lots of possibilities as I traversed the east flank of the peak though they were all very steep. I could not do the south face without serious tech gear but it should be doable given that.

DN

Hey Don, neat, where did you park on this outing?

I think the easiest route would be to park at Beacon Rock then bushwhack up to the abandoned cabin beyond the powerlines then on to the road to Hardy Creek Trail and go either way.

--Paul

Board index » Trips » Trip Reports