CottonwoodCanyon - Pinnacles Trail - 2-22-17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
arieshiker

CottonwoodCanyon - Pinnacles Trail - 2-22-17

Post by arieshiker » February 23rd, 2017, 10:36 am

Finally able to get out of my garage (ice issues) and out to exercise my boots. Last hike was new years eve along the Deschutes River, so this hike was down in Cottonwood Canyon. I was planning to do Lost Corral Trail, but when I arrived at the JRBurris trailhead, the trail was closed and park staff were just headed out on ATVs. Maybe some water issues farther out? I wrote and asked for an update, so if one comes I'll post it here, otherwise if you plan to come out for a hike and want that trail, call the park. Otherwise, you'll just have to settle for Pinnacles Trail, which was my option. There are a few shorter wanderings available, but to hike the main part of the park, these are the two primary trails at this point. The park is expanding so....Pinnacles Trail is in good shape except for some muddy spots just before mile 3. Until the water gets dried up, the late afternoon sun will likely muddy things up for awhile, but nothing you can't bypass. Yesterday was cool and crisp when I left the TH at 9AM wearing a light hoodie and liner gloves. Sunglasses essential as the sun sits right in your face on the way out, and not much better coming in. By 1PM when I returned, the gloves were long off, the hoodie unzipped and hanging loose. Gorgeous day with big fluffy clouds, bright sun, slight breeze, good trail and the river. Only saw one group of eight people, probably a group outing from the Portland area. No wildlife to speak of this trip - one Goose, one duck riding the fast flowing river and a few songbirds.. Only 6 1/2 miles, but with as much time as I was forced to take off last year for tinker-toy surgeries, by the time I got back I felt like I'd been walking all day. Can't wait to get my trail legs back.

UPDATE TO TRAIL CLOSURE: Lost Corral Trail is back open 2/27/17. Some flooding closed it, so as long as the river doesn't flood again, both trails will be open. If the weather turns bad anytime soon (hard rains) you might want to call the park before making the trip.
Attachments
PT - Trailhead.JPG
PT- early section.JPG
PT-earlytrail1.JPG
PT-mile1bench.JPG
PT-mile2bench.JPG
PT-mile3bench.JPG
PT-newviewingbench.JPG
Last edited by arieshiker on February 27th, 2017, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peder

Re: CottonwoodCanyon - Pinnacles Trail - 2-22-17

Post by Peder » February 23rd, 2017, 9:38 pm

No snow! I had no clue what to expect out there. Cottonwood Canyon is just a wonderful addition to our State Parks. It sure is a perfect winter destination, if one is willing to drive a bit.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

arieshiker

Re: CottonwoodCanyon - Pinnacles Trail - 2-22-17

Post by arieshiker » February 24th, 2017, 4:23 am

Have to agree about the addition Peder....the park is excellent, and they're very obviously working to make improvements/additions to the trails as time/money permit. I wasn't really sure how the snow would be given our winter over here, but the weather seems to have impacted the roads more than the parks, other'n perhaps the treads themselves which have enough low points that puddles/mud build up might forever be a storm season issue. With Deschutes, Columbia Hills Complex, Catherine Creek and even our observatory at hand, we're not quite trail poor over here, but clearly.....

Tis a drive from the Portland area to be sure, but I do the backwards thing to get to Eagle Creek, Herman Creek, Cape Horn, etc., and when things go bad, as they have this year for the Gorge trails, I'm very appreciative of having these eastern walk abouts. And with Deschutes and Cottonwood having camping available, overnighting is an option. Biggest problem I can see about coming over might be too much sun.

With the potential for big horn sheep sightings, I'll likely continue the canyon trails long after I can't do the elevation gains to the west.