Little South Fork Kilchis River 2-18-17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Little South Fork Kilchis River 2-18-17

Post by bobcat » February 20th, 2017, 5:00 pm

The Tillamook State Forest is riddled with abandoned logging roads that lead deep up steep-sided valleys and into unknown territory for hikers. I made one such foray last weekend, motoring up the Kilchis River and then Sam Downs Road, which got ever narrower and more potholed until I decided to stop and walk. I continued up the road, which follows the Little South Fork Kilchis River, for about half a mile until I got to a berm. Few vehicles get this far anyway, and only ATVs have crossed the berm although none have done so recently.
Bend in the river, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
Tall Sitka spruce, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
Early flower, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
View down to the Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
The old track switchbacked up and then ran high above the Little South Fork’s canyon. Sometimes there were alders down and there was plenty of elk sign – rubbings, fresh droppings, and even bones. Across the canyon, I could make out several waterfalls splashing down the steep slopes. Every culvert and bridge on the road bed has been scoured out and obliterated and there were a few wide creeks to cross. At one such crossing, there’s a pretty waterfall. ATVers have run this track in the past, but they’d have to clear out a few fallen trees to make it navigable again.
On the track, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
Alder woods, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
Elk rubbings, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
Remains of elk, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
Cross-canyon waterfall, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
Creek ford, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
Waterfall, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
Critter cam, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
Eventually I reached a point where the track split. I took the right fork down to the Little South Fork and scrambled upstream a little to where the river braids through a garden of boulders festooned with dripping tendrils of moss. Then I headed back up to the junction and continued along the path until I reached a wide creek where the old bridge was now a pile of rotting timbers and cables buried in the bank. Crossing here would have required a ford and, since I was only ten minutes from my turnaround time, I decided to start back.
Tributary creek, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
Turkeytails, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
View upstream, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
Looking up the defile, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
On the trail, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg
Bridge cables, Little South Fork Kilchis River tributary.jpg
Driving back along Sam Downs Road, I came to a screeching halt when I caught a glimpse of the first real blooms of the season adding bright color to a roadside bog. A very soggy day in a lush and remote section of the Coast Range.
Skunk-cabbage swamp, Little South Fork Kilchis River.jpg

Sean Thomas

Re: Little South Fork Kilchis River 2-18-17

Post by Sean Thomas » February 20th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Looks beautiful in there bobcat. Your photos are always superb!

I've been curious about the condition of Sam Downs Road for a Hagg Lake to Tillamook trip. On google maps it used to show the stretch of Sam Downs from Iris to Jody Creek as being closed. Do you know if that's the case and/or if it still connects to Kilchis LO Road?

bobcat

Re: Little South Fork Kilchis River 2-18-17

Post by bobcat » February 21st, 2017, 6:21 am

Sean Thomas wrote:On google maps it used to show the stretch of Sam Downs from Iris to Jody Creek as being closed.
Sean,

No, that section is fine and it's a beautiful route and also very quiet. There were a lot of fishermen down on the Kilchis, but once I headed up the Little South Fork, there was nobody. Google Maps is inaccurate as Sam Downs Road never crosses the Little South Fork. I left the road just after it crosses Sam Downs Creek and continued north - that is the "narrow, rutted road" I refer to - it's not on Google Maps. I don't know about the short stretch of Sam Downs Road that goes up Sam Downs Creek but I'm pretty sure it goes through to Kilchis Lookout Road. I think there are some ATV tracks that spin off it up there.