Eagle Creek devastation zone - Feb. 17th, 2017

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Dave Rappoccio

Re: Eagle Creek devastation zone - Feb. 17th, 2017

Post by Dave Rappoccio » February 21st, 2017, 4:33 pm

Seconding Forest Park, I spent last winter doing the entire thing in sections and got lots of enjoyment out of it as there are so many options, and I'm going for a second go-round now as I wait for things to clear up in the gorge.

Fair warning, it is super muddy and it's not damage free. There are still occasional blowdowns and slides that have taken out parts. Really it seems like most of this year will be getting the trails back into the shape they were before the winter storms.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 21st, 2017, 5:22 pm

BigBear wrote:For those of us who don't like exposure, angled snow on the trail or the obstacles of repeated fallen trees, have you found any trails that meet these criteria other than the open meadows east of Hood River?
We found Bells Mountain Trail to be in delightful condition last Friday.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

dikkeknodel

Post by dikkeknodel » February 21st, 2017, 7:00 pm

Wow, some nasty stuff happened here over the last few months. I hiked this part last August in another extreme temperatures towards the other side of the spectrum (90+ degrees).
Keep hiking!

drm

Post by drm » February 21st, 2017, 8:58 pm

BigBear wrote:For those of us who don't like exposure, angled snow on the trail or the obstacles of repeated fallen trees, have you found any trails that meet these criteria other than the open meadows east of Hood River?
Head east. Deschutes is melted out, I would guess Klickitat too. Lyle Cherry Orchard, at least the slope facing the river, is melted. Coyote Wall to Catherine Creek is melting fast. You will still have snow in sheltered areas and the rest will be soggy. But no trees to worry about in these areas because there are almost no trees.

Who will be the first to post a pic of a grass widow bloom?