Pacific Crest Trail 2017 Thru-Hike

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Aimless

Re: Pacific Crest Trail 2017 Thru-Hike

Post by Aimless » March 9th, 2017, 11:25 am

I am researching flip-flop options right now

Some variation on this approach seems inevitable this year. The water crossings in the Sierra will be full, fast and treacherous until much later than normal this year. :shock:

Peder

Post by Peder » March 11th, 2017, 5:40 am

Gloriously geeky tent video Tim! I watched the whole thing and plan to come out to see wander by if I am in Oregon when the time comes. Great decision and just go for it!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Buddy

Post by Buddy » March 11th, 2017, 6:22 am

Hey Tim - give me a call when you get to Washington. We can then keep company for 1, 10 or 100 miles as you wish. Just make it to me...
TFF and a wagging tail is what life is about. Underwater rocks are found in Heaven.

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » March 11th, 2017, 8:22 am

Buddy wrote:Hey Tim - give me a call when you get to Washington. We can then keep company for 1, 10 or 100 miles as you wish. Just make it to me...
Ahhhh. Buddy is back! Hey boy! hey boy! gooooood buddddyyyy. Ohhhh look at that tail wag, I'm happy to see you too. Come on boy, let's go for a long walk on a trail.
Peder wrote: Gloriously geeky tent video Tim! I watched the whole thing and plan to come out to see wander by if I am in Oregon when the time comes. Great decision and just go for it!
Peder, I'm counting on you to bring buddy out to the trailhead. Maybe you can tag along and do a few miles with us.

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » March 11th, 2017, 2:22 pm

I think you are going to like that tent. Last year I got it's little brother, the Altaplex in the .74 green.
DSC02148b.jpg
Altaplex
Didn't get out as much as I would have liked but did get out 8 nights in this tent. Amazingly sturdy in the wind. No flapping of tent material if staked out correctly. Takes a little practice to get it setup properly but once you get the hang of it there were no complaints. Since it is just a one pole design I did get the separate 48" carbon fiber pole Zpacks sells.

A couple of observations:
-I did send one night in high winds (30-40 mph all night. one of those 'use the ear plugs' nights). The line locks kept loosening to where there was some tent flapping and I would have to get out and re-tighten the lines. I think it had more to do with that slick Dyneema line they use rather then the line locks themselves. Anyway after getting up a couple of time I resorted to tying them off like this:
tenttie.jpg
This is from Zpacks site to prevent slippage on some of their packs. Seemed to work for tents too.

-The other thing I noticed and maybe this is just something with their tents with the one pole tent design but there is so many things connected to the one tent stake in the front that I had issues with it coming loose in soft ground. I solved that by getting one 10" tent stake for use on the front rather then the 7.5" one.

You mentioned in your video about some reservations with the front door attachment buckle. I had the same reservations also but never had any issues. Honestly in the 8 nights I was out (including one in light rain) I don't think I ever had both doors closed at the same time other then in the initial setup just to make sure I could close them if needed. Better ventilation that way I found.

Since you are into Zpacks stuff you might want to check out their gaiters too. I got the ankle length ones and have been using them most all winter to keep the snow out of my boots. You might need these in the Sierra's :)..

Best of luck on your adventure.

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » April 12th, 2017, 2:44 pm

bushwhacker wrote:I think you are going to like that tent. Last year I got it's little brother, the Altaplex in the .74 green.

Best of luck on your adventure.
Hey thanks for your thoughts! I've been sleeping in it at least every other night. I've come to love the tent.

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » April 12th, 2017, 2:46 pm

First resupply package ships today. No turning back...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 12th, 2017, 2:57 pm

who is shipping your resupply boxes?

can you feed back changes?

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » April 12th, 2017, 3:05 pm

retired jerry wrote:who is shipping your resupply boxes?

can you feed back changes?
Ahh you know what you are doing :) Yes, my Mom and daughter are shipping for me. The boxes are not being sealed until shipped so we can modify diet as my appetite dictates :)

IslandCougGirl

Post by IslandCougGirl » April 12th, 2017, 10:37 pm

So stoked for you!! I thought about doing this but couldn't even manage Timberline Trail (have insomnia and sleeping is hard without meds).