Multnomah Falls, Jan 14th.

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Multnomah Falls, Jan 14th.

Post by Don Nelsen » January 16th, 2017, 12:32 pm

I decided to take a very short hike up to the Benson Bridge before heading out to other goals on Saturday. The trail was still marked as closed but I could see lots of folks up on the bridge and also could see the giant icy "slushy" forming at the base of the falls. This needed some closer inspection and as I've heard: " 'Closed' is just a euphemism for 'there's something interesting out there' ":

Here is a short video:

https://youtu.be/2Cr4HJPH-d4

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Guy

Re: Multnomah Falls, Jan 14th.

Post by Guy » January 16th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:I decided to take a very short hike up to the Benson Bridge before heading out to other goals on Saturday. The trail was still marked as closed but I could see lots of folks up on the bridge and also could see the giant icy "slushy" forming at the base of the falls. This needed some closer inspection and as I've heard: " 'Closed' is just a euphemism for 'there's something interesting out there' ":

Here is a short video:

https://youtu.be/2Cr4HJPH-d4

dn
Hah! Us too Don, we checked out Mulhomah, Mist and Latourell. The bloody wind was bone chilling!
https://guy.smugmug.com/Outdoors-Hikes- ... /i-8nGTmm6

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

BigBear

Post by BigBear » January 17th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Don Nelson: I've heard: " 'Closed' is just a euphemism for 'there's something interesting out there' "

That would explain a lot. I do appreciate seeing the pictures of those hikers who believe in the same things you do. I did not let the snow deter me form getting in four nice local walks this week...on considerably less risky terrain. Saw some great scenery and lots of wildlife (TRNWR). I couldn't understand why so many people opted to hop over the chain past the closed sign and proceed thoughtlessly into the parts of the refuge limited to animals with feathers and fur. I was concerned about the lack of literacy in America, but now you have explained it to me. :)

wsevert

Post by wsevert » January 17th, 2017, 1:47 pm

It's all a matter of perspective. On the other side of the gate there are no signs at all and if they really meant it they'd post signs on that side too, right?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 17th, 2017, 1:52 pm

that's my trick

if it's closed, find some other route that has no signs posted

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 17th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Don, I didn't know you had such a rebellious streak! :lol:

I've done it twice this year, but always under cover of darkness, because I don't want to set a bad example (don't want the flipfloppers following me). First time was a few weeks ago, and it actually was a bit slippery, but Sunday (1/15) it was just well-packed snow.

I was surprised at the handful of photographers already at the lower platform at the break of dawn (I was running about 20 minutes later than intended).

Another surprise was the snow in the tunnel that goes under I-84. It's maybe 40 feet long? Wouldn't have thought so much snow would blow in there. I bet in a heavy snow year they have to dig it out to keep a path open. Also surprised at the snow depth where the trail follows the creek under the railroad. I'm not a tall guy, but I had to duck to get under!
Attachments
20170115_184952.jpg
Snowy tunnel under I-84

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 17th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:as I've heard: " 'Closed' is just a euphemism for 'there's something interesting out there' "
Blame Spielberg. :lol:

Guy

Post by Guy » January 17th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Chip Down wrote:Don, I didn't know you had such a rebellious streak! :lol:

I've done it twice this year, but always under cover of darkness, because I don't want to set a bad example (don't want the flipfloppers following me). First time was a few weeks ago, and it actually was a bit slippery, but Sunday (1/15) it was just well-packed snow.

I was surprised at the handful of photographers already at the lower platform at the break of dawn (I was running about 20 minutes later than intended).

Another surprise was the snow in the tunnel that goes under I-84. It's maybe 40 feet long? Wouldn't have thought so much snow would blow in there. I bet in a heavy snow year they have to dig it out to keep a path open. Also surprised at the snow depth where the trail follows the creek under the railroad. I'm not a tall guy, but I had to duck to get under!
Chip, where is this tunnel? What am I missing :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Guy

Post by Guy » January 17th, 2017, 8:11 pm

Webfoot wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:as I've heard: " 'Closed' is just a euphemism for 'there's something interesting out there' "
Blame Spielberg. :lol:

:lol: :lol:
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 17th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Guy wrote:Chip, where is this tunnel? What am I missing :)
see map below (surely you've been there?)
Attachments
TopSecret.jpg