New waterfall forms in Oneonta Creek

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

New waterfall forms in Oneonta Creek

Post by Don Nelsen » February 10th, 2017, 8:03 pm

I did a couple of hikes today and for the first time in nearly two months had really balmy weather - at least for a while.

The first hike was along the still closed Scenic Hwy from the Ainsworth Park area to about a half mile west of Oneonta Gorge. Horsetail Falls was roaring sending a drenching spray well into the parking area:

At Oneonta, I was surprised to see that the logjam had backed up the water over eight feet deep and created a lake. A nice waterfall now pours over and through the logjam:

The piles of ice are many and impressive along the old hwy:

Then on to Palmer Mill Road. I can report that this road, extending from Bridal Veil up its junction with Brower Road is free of snow and ice though it has a few new ruts. Numerous trees had fallen but everything has been sawn or pushed out of the way.

I parked at the Jersey barriers and hiked a loop though the Bridal Veil Plateau coming back out on the Palmer Mill Road at the site of the old logging town and then back to my car. The start of this route will need some serious cleaning up, though the worst of it is in the first mile or so of trail to the plateau.

The trail goes though this? Yep!

It cleared up once I'd left the area of alders. Those trees just don't do well in freezing rain.

I hit continuous snow at about the 1700' level but it was very compact and easy to travel through. Once back on Palmer Mill Road at the 2,000' level (this is the closed section) the real damage soon presented itself. Above the level the freezing rain reached, it was just a snow covered road but as I descended to about the 1750' level, things changed completely:

A nice day in the woods, nevertheless: 9.6 miles, 900' vertical.

Also, an update from my report yesterday: The fallen trees have been removed from the road between Larch Mt. Road and the Vista House so that can again be driven. The road is closed beyond that when I was there about 4. All the ice is gone though.

Don
Last edited by Don Nelsen on February 10th, 2017, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Guy

Re: New waterfall forms in Oneonta Creek

Post by Guy » February 10th, 2017, 8:18 pm

Would be so good if the water would break the logjam loose!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

pablo

Post by pablo » February 10th, 2017, 8:54 pm

Thx Don for the update,

The closed part of Palmer Mill Rd has friends so I would expect it to be cleared before too long. What other damage lurks in the Gorge? I guess we'll find out as the area opens up.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » February 10th, 2017, 11:38 pm

Guy wrote:
Would be so good if the water would break the logjam loose!
I hope the logjam gets bigger and harder to cross. It's probably the only thing that keeps Oneonta Gorge from being Disneyland jr.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » February 11th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Wow. I was at Oneonta just hours ago, and didn't notice this. Wasn't really paying attention though, as it didn't appear there was anything interesting up the canyon.
Looking at that pic, it's hard to imagine we were walking up that logjam on the frozen creek just 2 or 3 weekends ago!
What's up with the hwy closure anyway? I wasn't aware of it, and it really messed with my plans. I decided to walk east from Multnomah to see the landslide, but there was nothing, absolutely nothing! :|

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 12th, 2017, 11:27 am

Chip Down wrote:Wow. I was at Oneonta just hours ago, and didn't notice this. Wasn't really paying attention though, as it didn't appear there was anything interesting up the canyon.
Looking at that pic, it's hard to imagine we were walking up that logjam on the frozen creek just 2 or 3 weekends ago!
What's up with the hwy closure anyway? I wasn't aware of it, and it really messed with my plans. I decided to walk east from Multnomah to see the landslide, but there was nothing, absolutely nothing! :|
There is no reason to close the hwy except perhaps the occasional rock rolling down the hills as things thaw. The road is plowed, fallen trees cleared and the big snow/ice formations are all cut back enough for two cars to pass in opposite directions. I've hiked it all between the falls and Dodsen in the past few days. dn

PS, chip, you have a PM from me in your in box from Feb. 2 that you haven't opened.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » February 13th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
Chip Down wrote:Wow. I was at Oneonta just hours ago, and didn't notice this. Wasn't really paying attention though, as it didn't appear there was anything interesting up the canyon.
There is no reason to close the hwy except perhaps the occasional rock rolling down the hills as things thaw. The road is plowed, fallen trees cleared and the big snow/ice formations are all cut back enough for two cars to pass in opposite directions. I've hiked it all between the falls and Dodsen in the past few days. dn

PS, chip, you have a PM from me in your in box from Feb. 2 that you haven't opened.
Pretty sure it's Dodson. I chuckled at that, remembering when you (politely and gently) corrected me after I foolishly typed Nelson a few months ago. :lol:

Thanks for the PM! In addition to the info I was seeking, there's at least one additional note that will help me find something I've been curious about. Chances are I'll wait for the thaw, unless I get restless and get a hankering to go check it out sooner.