My Rogue River trip

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

My Rogue River trip

Post by drm » April 5th, 2017, 7:13 pm

We had a lot of snow at low altitude so I was looking for a place to go for a 4-day window of good weather and get some hiking miles in and that meant the Rogue River in southern Oregon. For this trip I decided to just do an out-and-back rather than a through hike with a shuttle. And this early in the season apparently parking is allowed at the Grave Ck trailhead, which is not allowed later.

There was no rain, though one day was mostly cloudy, and the first night was very damp so my tent was soaked from condensation the next morning. The flowers were out in force, as were the ticks. I left home at 6:30 and arrived at the trailhead at 12:45. I saved a half hour's driving by getting off I5 at Wolf Creek and taking Front St and Grave Ck Rd instead of going through Merlin. I've decided to start this report with all my wildflower photos before getting on to the rest of the trip report. I don't know the name of most flowers but the numerous white ones are glacier lilies. Glacier lilies don't grow so much at this low altitude here in northern Oregon.

Okay, so here is how the hike went, right at the start

Looking back at the river and the parking area

looking forward during an open section

there is also a lot of semi-shaded sections like this

the Meadow Creek area, my first camping site after 13.6 miles (that is somebody else's tent)

a lot of the trail is well above the river, but most camps are lower. The river from camp:

The Rogue River Trail is really two trails. From the east you start on BLM land for 22 miles. Then you get to the Rogue River Ranch, which is now a museum. Then you hike on a dirt road for almost 3 miles past lodges and a car campground. Then you get to the second trail, on Forest Service land now. Here is the Rogue River Ranch

near the other end of the road walk is the Forest Service Guard Station, which was damaged by falling trees this winter

the first part of the west side of the hike is considered some of the more spectacular parts

the river goes through a rocky gorge

after another 13.5 miles I made camp at Blossom Bar, this is my tent

salamanders are common around here. they look a bit like lizards but are darker and move real slowly

On the way back the next day I didn't take any pictures during the hike through familiar terrain. I hiked a bit farther back and made camp at Francis Creek and discovered that by coincidence, right below me was a geographical oddity: the Horseshoe Bend of the Rogue River. The river was unable to carve through some hard rock and made about 3/4 of a full circle around it. The trail is well above the water and so normally people don't actually see this. Even from my camp it was not obvious, but I did eventually see it and hiked down through some brush on an old abandoned trail to where I got a decent view of it.

In closing I just wanted to mention that the trail had not been maintained for the year, and as a route that follows along a relatively steep slope for 40 miles, it gets a lot of landslides and slips. Most of it is fine, but there are sections where it is narrow and kind of exposed. I'm sure it is a constant battle to keep it in shape and those who are not confident on their feet might find some sections a little scary. Here are a few shots of trail damage.

retired jerry

Re: My Rogue River trip

Post by retired jerry » April 6th, 2017, 5:02 am

Nice report, nice hike for early in the season when there's snow everywhere

It looks a little busier than when I was there in February - I saw no one for 4 nights

How hot did it get?

There's a lot of parking area up above on the other side of the bridge

drm

Post by drm » April 6th, 2017, 6:18 am

I didn't have a thermometer, but it was definitely shorts and short-sleeve weather a fair amount of the time when in the sun. But in that canyon it takes hours to get the sun on you in the morning. It probably got into the mid 60s.

Meadow Creek camp was popular, with a few groups there each pass. Blossom Bar had one other couple. Aside from dayhikers near the trailhead I only saw a handful of other hikers, but surely more than you would see midwinter, but also surely a tiny percentage of what you would see in a month or two.

The ticks were really bad. I got at least three bites and pulled many more off me. No matter how often I checked myself, I found another one pretty soon after.

I would add that keeping the feet dry in the numerous rock-hopping creek crossings was a challenge. I never got soaked but I needed both trekking poles as you were often stepping on wet rocks that might have a little water running over them, so the toes and sides of my shoes were perennially wet.

chiefWright

Post by chiefWright » April 6th, 2017, 6:40 pm

Really nice! That geology is so NOT igneous high cascades! That shot of exposed rock where the trail was damaged was very cool. The Kalamath rocks are just plain tortured.

Though your tick report gives me great pause. Any ideas on how to repel, or at least discourage those very scary buggers? I've had some success just wearing polypro longjohns under shorts, but sounds like you need to bring out the thick armor on the Rogue...

drm

Post by drm » April 7th, 2017, 5:56 am

chiefWright wrote:Though your tick report gives me great pause. Any ideas on how to repel, or at least discourage those very scary buggers? I've had some success just wearing polypro longjohns under shorts, but sounds like you need to bring out the thick armor on the Rogue...
Although I did camp in very grassy areas, the details of where and when I found them on me indicates that many were in the trees limbs above, from which there really is no protection. I also doubt that clothes makes much of a difference since ticks spend a long time migrating to find a spot they like. I think the real protection is just to check yourself a lot, and really you need somebody else to do that. At one point I had an itch on the beltline in the middle of my lower back and there was simply no way for me to check that without a mirror. I didn't have any chemicals with me for that purpose so can't speak to that.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 7th, 2017, 6:24 am

The field guide, about hiking has some ideas that people have posted in the past

If you have long pants and gaiters, and spray the outside of boots/gaiters maybe long pants and long shirt, that helps

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 7th, 2017, 6:26 am

I wonder if this is going to be a bad tick year?

Maybe all the rain is conducive. There was a long stretch of very cold, but maybe the ticks were hiding out then

drm

Post by drm » April 7th, 2017, 9:18 am

When I'm on my first sunny and reasonably warm trip of the year, I'm hardly inclined to coat myself in clothes toes to chin with a layer of chemicals on top.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » April 7th, 2017, 4:53 pm

My experience with ticks is that they rarely attach to uncovered skin.(*) They like to be in cozy spots--beneath belt lines, in armpits, under socks, and of course, worse places. So I think treating shorts, tee shirt, and gaiters with permethrin does a world of good. Then check yourself nightly. Bring a hand mirror if needed.

* Of course, occasionally they do. I've had one latch on to the inside of my calf, just below the knee (I was wearing shorts). The good news about that is that it's easier to find those than the ones that go for the plumber's crevice.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 7th, 2017, 5:06 pm

Permethrin on the outside of clothes is hardly noticeable

I used to wear short sleeve shirt and shorts in warm weather, but I've shifted to long sleeves and pants. Sun and bugs. In a way, it's obnoxious to wear long sleeves, but I've gotten used to it. If it's hot they get sweaty and then that cools off.

If you see documentaries of people in the desert, they always wear long sleeves and pants. Or an arab style robe might even be better.