Cascade Head Traverse 1–28–17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Cascade Head Traverse 1–28–17

Post by bobcat » February 1st, 2017, 5:14 pm

One normally hikes at the coast to get expansive vistas and admire interesting formations. This hike, only a few miles from the ocean, affords neither. The Cascade Head Trail (not the Nature Conservancy trail of the same name) crosses that headland inland and used to run for six miles, from Three Rocks Road to an old logging road above Fall Creek near Neskowin; it forms a section of the Oregon Coast Trail. The northern 2 ½ miles was abandoned a few years ago when a windstorm toppled a number of large trees over the tread.

The trail runs through the Cascade Head Experimental Forest, part of the Siuslaw National Forest, and one of only four United Nations Biosphere Reserves in the Pacific Northwest. The coastal habitat here, including the Salmon River Estuary, protects breeding range for four endangered species: the spotted owl, marbled murrelet, coho salmon, and Oregon silverspot butterfly. To keep conditions optimal for murrelet/owl/silverspot procreation, most of the headland that is under Forest Service jurisdiction is closed to hiking from January 1st to July 15th: that includes the Hart’s Cove Trail. The Cascade Head Trails (both the Nature Conservancy and Forest Service ones) are still open during that period, however.

The main feature of the trail as it ascends to FR 1861, which splits the headland, are the old growth forest areas. One is down at the trailhead, and another is about three miles up in the vicinity of Calkins Creek. While the area was scorched by the vast Neskowin Fire of the 1840s and later there was some logging, these pockets of large Sitka spruce, Douglas-fir, and western hemlock have survived. In other areas, there is 80 – 100 year-old coniferous forest interspersed with thickets of alder and salmonberry.
Boardwalk, Calkins Springs, Cascade Head Trail.jpg
Trailside spruce, Cascade Head Trail.jpg
Big hemlock, Cascade Head Trail.jpg
Footbridge over Calkins Creek, Cascade Head Trail.jpg
Old-growth seep, Cascade Head Trail.jpg
At times, since there were no blooms or views, I amused myself by examining the undersides of fern fronds:
Common sword fern (Polystichum munitum), Cascade Head Trail.jpg
Deer fern (Blechnum spicant), Cascade Head Trail.jpg
Licorice fern (Polypodium glycyrrhiza), Cascade Head Trail.jpg
Leathery polypody (Polypodium scouleri), abandoned Cascade Head Trail.jpg
When I got to FR 1861, signs told me I could not proceed farther west up the road, ruling out the possibility of a loop with the Nature Conservancy Trail (Oregon Coast Trail hikers have to go east for a about a mile to reach Highway 101). Thus, I decided to tackle the abandoned section of the trail. After an initial plunge through a salmonberry thicket (good that I was wearing protection on my arms and good gloves), the tread is obvious although now very soft and uneven as it proceeds along a slope that was heavily logged a few decades ago leaving one remaining area of old growth. Someone has been coming in and doing some minimal maintenance as there was flagging in places and the salmonberries have been more or less kept at bay; I took out my trail saw and added some improvements here and there. There were a couple of small slides and a few branches to toss off the trail but then, before and after the only switchback, I had to make a few detours to get around some significant windfall. Eventually, however, I arrived at the bottomland near Fall Creek and hiked out to 101 where I found the former trail post lying in the dirt.
Closure sign, FR 1861, Cascade Head Trail.jpg
Mossy tread, abandoned Cascade Head Trail.jpg
Hemlock woods, abandoned Cascade Head Trail.jpg
Downed tree, abandoned Cascade Head Trail.jpg
Log barrier, abandoned Cascade Head Trail.jpg
Along Fall Creek, abandoned Cascade Head Trail.jpg
Old trailhead sign, abandoned Cascade Head Trail.jpg
Time was getting short as I had to be back home early, so my bailout plan was to hike the highway the four miles back to Three Rocks Road – hitching is not a real option as there really isn’t any space for speeding cars to pull off safely. As I was emptying my boots of various ferns, mosses, and conifer needles, however, Tyler pulled up in his Subaru. He’s a local and, after we talked about the abandoned section of the trail a little, he offered to give me a ride back to the trailhead after he completed a short stroll up the trail. Since he was wearing flip flops, I guessed that wouldn’t be taking too long, so I gladly accepted the reprieve. Thanks for the ride and the conversation, Tyler!

pcg

Re: Cascade Head Traverse 1–28–17

Post by pcg » February 24th, 2017, 9:31 am

bobcat wrote:... The Cascade Head Trail (not the Nature Conservancy trail of the same name) crosses that headland inland and used to run for six miles, from Three Rocks Road to an old logging road above Fall Creek near Neskowin; it forms a section of the Oregon Coast Trail. The northern 2 ½ miles was abandoned a few years ago when a windstorm toppled a number of large trees over the tread.
In the early 80s (I think) I followed the remnants of a trail from Harts Cove down to Neskowin. It hugged the coast and was characterized by frequent climbing over and under old growth blowdown, more so than your photos depict. The trail was mostly overgrown even then. I wonder if this was the same route?

I've been meaning to go back and see what it's like now. Thanks for jogging my memory!

bobcat

Post by bobcat » February 24th, 2017, 2:27 pm

pcg wrote:I wonder if this was the same route?
No, it's not. The route I took is inland, beginning almost next to Highway 101 on Three Rocks Road and heading up to FR 1861. Hikers are supposed to hike out (or in) to/from the highway from that point since the northern section, which I took this time, has been abandoned because of windfall.

The trail you took is much shorter and is termed "illegal" by the Forest Service (their word). One of their concerns is that people are using it to get into Hart's Cove from Neskowin during the 6 1/2 month closure period. I've never done it, but I've heard that it has been "improved" in recent years.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » February 27th, 2017, 11:20 am

This is the trail clearly marked 1310 on the old Forest Service maps, correct? I was thinking of doing my annual Cascade Head hike soon, maybe we'll try this one instead.

Do we know the actual closure boundaries? I know you can't go west from the 1310/1861 junction, but can you actually go north without violating the closure?

I'm not trying to start a discussion on closures (yet :D ), I just want the facts.
- Michael

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » February 27th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Well I couldn't wait so I called the Hebo RD. They do their best to be as non-specific as possible about the reasons for the closure but as far as I could garner from their vagueness is that it's an overall closure for multiple species. The closure is also vague in that it's the road/trail, but off-trail - well who ever knows.

The timing only works for me as the spotted owl.
Marbled murrelets main breeding season is May to August (eggs would all be hatched by the end of the closure).
Since the main meadow is open all year, I'm not sure it would make sense that the closure is for butterflies as the Forest Service doesn't own any meadow as far as I can tell unless they are right at the crest, I've never ventured past the 'summit' from the bottom.

I don't think it's a closure where anyone would get fined or arrested and it seems to be just west of the 1310/1861 junction but as I said they try to be as vague as possible so just be sensitive to these things. Some rules are purposefully vague to allow interpretation but I don't trust many people to make good choices in these cases.

The spotted owl is probably doomed and we should give them as much space as we can. Marbled murrelets have decreased 44% in the last 10 years in Washington, so they aren't doing well either. Corvids are their main predator so don't eat your chips in the old growth, but even then our presence usually attracts them.

Again I'm not judging bobcat about where you went (because I don't think you went anywhere closed), I'm just trying to sort out the closure for myself really and thought some info might be helpful to folks.
- Michael

bobcat

Post by bobcat » February 27th, 2017, 2:44 pm

I can tell you where the closure signs are: there's one where Trail #1310 meets FR 1861 coming from the south. There's another just up the road at the far end of the parking pullout just west of where the trail crossed the road. I believe there's another sign where the Nature Conservancy Trail meets FR 1861. There isn't any closure sign where the abandoned section of #1310 reaches Highway 101. You'd think they'd put one there if the closure applied to that section because people are obviously using the stretch along the creek there.

When I began the hike, I was unsure if the road closure applied only to vehicles or also to pedestrians. The signs make it clear that it applies to foot traffic also.

Thus, I felt that as long as I stuck with #1310 (both sections) I was not violating the endangered species closure. The only Forest Service trail at Cascade Head that is off-limits during the 1/1 - 7/15 closure is Hart's Cove. The meadow there does support a population of silverspots, but so does the big meadow on the Nature Conservancy trail and that's not closed. I think it's more about the larger, more contiguous stands of old-growth (nesting habitat for owls and murrelets) on the west side of the headland.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » February 27th, 2017, 6:31 pm

I went down a little murrelet hole today after posting that, got to studying the survey protocol, read up on nesting timing, emailed some conservation groups about some stuff that's been bugging me, talked about doing some murrelet surveys again.

Thanks for that :D

I'm not going to sweat the details of closure much, they were vague about it in 1997 when I called them and again 20 years later. If they won't commit to something, it's not my problem. I just hope a few signs will stop most people, that's the best we can hope for. I won't be going there during the closure anyway as that's just how I am, but mid-July is a great time to hear murrelets there.
- Michael