Rogue River January 23, 2017

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
barryjones335

Re: Rogue River January 23, 2017

Post by barryjones335 » March 6th, 2017, 9:33 pm

looks fun! I'm trying to find a few days to add to a weekend to hike the whole thing out and back. Weather reports all point to constant rain through march though... i haven't been on this trail yet and am fairly unfamiliar with the area ( im from Mcmninnville and i hike out in the Mt. Jefferson area a lot). Is the rain down there really moderate and constant like it is up here or can i expect pretty light rain if constant at all? i really cant wait til April or beyond! must get out!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 7th, 2017, 6:30 am

I think it's a little drier there than here in Portland. The plants are a little less overgrown. It's further south. You really have to check NOAA weather though. You can scroll around and get weather for any spot.

Yeah, it's been rainier this year than any I remember. I just did a trip on the Deschutes River which was almost totally dry. Much drier east of cascades.

There'll probably be a dry period in March

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » March 7th, 2017, 10:00 am

barryjones335 wrote:looks fun! I'm trying to find a few days to add to a weekend to hike the whole thing out and back. Weather reports all point to constant rain through march though... i haven't been on this trail yet and am fairly unfamiliar with the area ( im from Mcmninnville and i hike out in the Mt. Jefferson area a lot). Is the rain down there really moderate and constant like it is up here or can i expect pretty light rain if constant at all? i really cant wait til April or beyond! must get out!

There are two options here now: the classic Rogue River Trail of about 40 miles from Grave Creek to Foster Bar or the 26-mile Wild Rogue Loop, which the Siskiyou Mountain Club re-opened in 2015 (Wild Rogue Loop). You could do 80 miles out-and-back on the Rogue River Trail or get a shuttle. As noted, Galice Lodge may be your only option for a shuttle at the moment - others offer shuttles starting in April & May when Bear Camp Road is open.

The Loop hike may currently have some snow issues but the classic trail is open now. However, Southern Oregon is having its 6th wettest winter on record, with more rain expected at least through the end of March. We've had a few nice sunny days but those have been few and stuck in between longer stretches of overcast/wet weather. The classic trail is a great backpack but, frankly, not much fun if done in rain & gloom. Given how cranky the weather has been to date (and how cranky its expected to remain), I'd wait until April or May to do either trail.

dohman

Post by dohman » March 14th, 2017, 7:03 pm

Would a group of 3 or 4 hammock campers have trouble finding spots to hang on the eastern part of fhe trail? We are thinking​ of memorial day weekend, one of our group is coming up from California. None of us have ever done the trail but it sounds great. Not planning​ on doing all of the trail. Meet in grants pass Friday night, trail Saturday morn, out by monday mid day.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 14th, 2017, 7:42 pm

I am not a hammocker so I don't have a real good feel, but

There are a lot of trees though. I'm pretty sure you could find a place to hang.

You might have to keep walking a ways past obvious places, like the campgrounds at Whisky Creek or Slide or Meadow Creek.

Memorial Day would likely be busy but I've never been there then

But the trail just goes on for miles with trees all over the place so I'm pretty sure you could find a spot

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » January 7th, 2018, 5:18 pm

I think I will do the river trail down and back as soon as a weather break looks good. Here is my trip report from doing the Wild Rogue Loop back in 2016. https://adventurecontinues.org/2016/05/ ... rogue-loop
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

bghiker

Post by bghiker » January 7th, 2018, 8:14 pm

dohman wrote:Would a group of 3 or 4 hammock campers have trouble finding spots to hang on the eastern part of fhe trail? We are thinking​ of memorial day weekend, one of our group is coming up from California. None of us have ever done the trail but it sounds great. Not planning​ on doing all of the trail. Meet in grants pass Friday night, trail Saturday morn, out by monday mid day.

I've hung in several places along the first 20 miles of the trail from graves creek have had no issues finding hanging spots. You may have to spread out a little, I've only done it solo so only had to find a place for one hammock but I doubt it will be an issue. Have fun!

Eric