Soda Peaks Lake via Trapper Creek Trail 5.9.17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
DennisBergkamp

Soda Peaks Lake via Trapper Creek Trail 5.9.17

Post by DennisBergkamp » May 10th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Attempted to hike to Soda Peaks Lake via Trapper Creek Trailhead. From the beginning there were many downed trees across the Trapper Creek trail, which we were expecting as the trail hasn't been cleared yet. Fallen trees were mostly easy to go over/around, though it may be difficult for children.

Continued to be downed trees once we reached Soda Peaks trail #133, but again nothing terribly difficult. After we crossed the bridge over Trapper Creek, there was some snow cover making the trail a little difficult to follow but we pressed on. Reached a large downed old growth tree which marks the beginning of the real ascent of Soda Peak trail. Once we started up there were less downed trees, and snow was minimal. There were however a few switchbacks on the way up that had trees down right on the switchback, making it necessary to climb around and relocate the trail. We encountered some rangers near the bridge that said the trail would probably be covered in snow, but we did not find that to be the case until the very end.

Made it to probably half a mile of the lake when we came to a flat somewhat open area covered in snow where we lost the trail. Tried to forge on ahead a little to find signs but didn't feel confident I could find the trail again on the way back. It will probably be another 2-3 weeks before the trail is clear enough to make it all the way to the lake. Still a good hike on a nice sunny day.

drm

Re: Soda Peaks Lake via Trapper Creek Trail 5.9.17

Post by drm » May 10th, 2017, 2:44 pm

I'm surprised you got that far before hitting full snow coverage. A few weeks ago I couldn't drive to the trailhead.