Larch Mountain Road/Trail - 5/6/17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
RickAndZena

Larch Mountain Road/Trail - 5/6/17

Post by RickAndZena » May 10th, 2017, 7:20 am

Thought I'd share my report for those interested in the state of Larch Mountain Rd this time of year.

Went up Larch Mountain Rd early Saturday morning to park at the gate and make my way up to Sherrard Point to try out some new microspikes. Wasn't sure how much snow to expect, so I also strapped my snowshoes to my day pack (never needed them).

While I was getting my pack together I heard a bunch of engines coming down the road and several Multnomah County Sherriff and Search & Rescue vehicles roared into the lot and up to the north gate. A deputy told me I looked confused (it was 6:40 in the morning out in the woods so I was). Search & Rescue training. Wonder what's down that north gate.
IMG_2798.JPG
Sherriff at the gate.
IMG_2799.JPG
The gate.
Heard a spooky, low-pitched bird call that I didn't recognize along the road and tried to record it here. My phone microphone is bad, but if you have speakers and you crank them up you'll hear it at 0:07, 0:17, and 0:27. What is that?

Just under 2 miles up the road is the junction is with the jeep trail that connects to the Larch Mountain Trail. I hadn't decided which path to take, and I had to choose well before the snow. Decided to take the road.
IMG_2806.JPG
Looking up the connecting trail.
First small snowdrift that entirely crosses the road is just past the 13 mile marker, about 2.75 miles past the gate.
IMG_2808.JPG
13 mile marker.
Another half mile and the road ends almost instantly at about 3,550', about 3.25 miles past the gate. I wish there were staggered gates--you could easily drive all the way to this point. Stopped to put on my microspikes, which worked well on the packed snow.
IMG_2809.JPG
End of road at 3550'.
Sun came out a few times, giving me hope the clouds might clear for some views at Sherrard Point.
IMG_2817.JPG
IMG_2820.JPG
Plenty of snow at the trailhead, but it's well on its way out.
IMG_2821.JPG
IMG_2822.JPG
Some blue sky straight up, but no views at the point. Stayed up for five or ten minutes hoping I might get a peek through the clouds, but despite the lack of snow it was super cold, with 1/8" of ice clinging to the fence on one side.
IMG_2824.JPG
Got startled coming back down as a ran into another hiker, the first I'd seen all morning. Took the Larch Mountain trail back down, and it was a bit hard to find for the first few hundred yards from the parking lot but quite clear beyond that. No spikes required at all. I'd only ever taken this trail in the summer; it was spookier this time.
IMG_2832.JPG
LMT
Saw a few people coming up from Multnomah Falls, including one in shorts and a t-shirt with no pack (!), and once I made it back to the road I passed quite a few people making their way up from gate. A few mentioned they were surprised the gate was closed. The weather was beautiful as I drove out, so I stopped at the viewpoint to see if I had just missed some views, but Larch Mountain was still covered with clouds.
IMG_2838.JPG
IMG_2851.jpg
Green dot: Start and finish
Red dot: Mile 13 marker
First yellow dot: End of passable road
Second yellow dot: Mile 14 marker

Waffle Stomper

Re: Larch Mountain Road/Trail - 5/6/17

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 11th, 2017, 11:18 am

Who doesn't look confused that time of day. LOL :D

I believe what you hear is a grouse. I've heard that several times but have never seen one.

Thank you for the trip report. Nice to see the snow is starting to melt.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir