Latourell Falls hike plus a look at a very icy Vista House

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Webfoot

Re: Latourell Falls hike plus a look at a very icy Vista Hou

Post by Webfoot » January 19th, 2017, 11:37 pm

The ice on Vista House didn't happen all at once I think. There was a good layer on it last Thursday.

By the way your connector road appears to cut very close to a private parcel; are you confident that bit is public?
160291.jpg

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 20th, 2017, 9:29 am

Webfoot wrote:
...By the way your connector road appears to cut very close to a private parcel; are you confident that bit is public?
Good question and I should have mentioned this in my TR: The part I hiked is public but the very last bit at the lower end crosses private land so I leave the road about 300' from the end and go cross-country to the old hwy. The road is posted at the lower gate and when I first hiked that road I took the effort to check the property ownership records. According to the Multnomah County property records all of the road is on public land above that short section I mentioned. (There are lots of signs to the contrary, though - see photo.) I have not spoken with the current occupants, who are renting from the owner, so do not know what the occupants views on hiking their portion of the road are. However, I went to college with the owner back in the 60's and I don't think he's the type of guy who would object to the occasional hiker (But I will check).

In speaking with locals, I've found that the home was owned for many years by a lady who had to move due to increasing age (99 years old) and the property was sold recently to the new owner. Word on the street is that there is marijuana being grown about a quarter mile up the road, hence (probably) the numerous no trespassing signs.

I'll check into this more and add what I find out.

-Don

Lots of unfriendly signs like this along the road about a quarter mile from the lower end:
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 20th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Thanks, Don. Is this house the one that used to have the "water your pets" sign and faucet, or do I misremember?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Webfoot wrote:Thanks, Don. Is this house the one that used to have the "water your pets" sign and faucet, or do I misremember?
I don't remember such a sign but not having a pet, it's probably not something that I would remember.

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 20th, 2017, 8:29 pm

I've long thought of Pablo as the beast of OrHikers, the unstoppable animal who retreats at nothing. Better get back on it Paul, Don is going to take your crown if you don't defend it! :lol:

Regarding the private-property issue: I avoid trespassing, to some extent. I generally won't go into places where I know I don't belong...but I don't go out of my way to research it. If it's ambiguous, I assume the owner doesn't mind if I discreetly and respectfully wander through.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 20th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Chip Down wrote:I've long thought of Pablo as the beast of OrHikers, the unstoppable animal who retreats at nothing. Better get back on it Paul, Don is going to take your crown if you don't defend it! :lol:
DN is beast and has been beast long before a lot of us were in diapers, me anyways. And, apparently, you missed the Mayhem era of PH/OH :D

Paul is definitely beast though. :)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 20th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Must learn more of this Mayhem era... :shock:

pablo

Post by pablo » January 21st, 2017, 8:37 am

Chip Down wrote:I've long thought of Pablo as the beast of OrHikers, the unstoppable animal who retreats at nothing. Better get back on it Paul, Don is going to take your crown if you don't defend it! :lol:
[...]
Ha! Speaking from personal experience pablo doesn't even make the top ten beast hikers of OH. I refer you to any post by Sean Thomas, mayhem (http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... 3&start=30), DN, joerunner (http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... =8&p=17845), mcds, Fred+Thomas, and many others.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

pablo

Post by pablo » January 21st, 2017, 8:41 am

Hey Don, nice report & photos. Thx, --Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 21st, 2017, 11:43 am

I agree with Pablo. Sean and Mayhem are the real beasts and there are a few others. Mayhem can run uphill faster than I can run on the flats! I've seen him do it.