Multnomah/Tr400/Cougar/Waespe/Bickel/Nesika/Franklin/Oneonta

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Multnomah/Tr400/Cougar/Waespe/Bickel/Nesika/Franklin/Oneonta

Post by Chip Down » January 17th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Sunday Jan 15

It was one of those days where the drive was a greater source of anxiety than the hike. I needn't have worried though. I-84 was 99% clear from Troutdale to Mult Falls. Much better than in Portland. Turns out I could have gone elsewhere, but I had already laid out my plans for a conservative start at Multnomah, so stuck with it. Also was slightly worried about snow depth, but it was less than expected, really not substantially more than Portland.

Main goal for the day: Wanted to see if I could get to Cougar Rock directly from Trail 400. The trail was fairly easy to follow. If I were to lay a GPS track on a map, you'd probably see I was pretty much on-route most of the way. Snow depth was generally manageable. In a few spots I was grateful for microspikes. East of the Elevator Shaft, there were several opportunities to climb up to the south, but nothing I could identify as Cougar Rock. I feared that might happen. Eventually ended up at Oneonta. Hmm. Okay then, plan B. I could have gone back west, trying a few high routes along the way, but instead went up to Waespe Point. It was a horrible ascent, variable snow conditions, often icy. Wasn't easy to see where the hazards were. Treking poles went on the pack, ice axes came out. It was slow going. Stuck to the trees as much as possible, where my treking poles and snowshoes (on pack) relentlessly snagged branches, driving my crazy.

From Waespe, the ridgeline up got much easier. I knew it would be a bit wind scoured. Indeed, it was virtually bare. Very icy though, so I kept using the axes on ice, on snow, on rock, on wood, on dirt, scratching and clawing my way up. Should have been fun, but I'd been here before, and it was brutally cold/windy, and I was tired/demoralized by the hours of hiking to get to a place that would take an hour in the summer. But I looked forward to getting back to my previous turnaround point, where I gave up last time (because the ridge faded, and visibility was too poor to continue without a ridgecrest or some reference). This time I had my GPS, so determined I was at 1530', right where I guessed I was (end of ridge is pretty obvious on map). From that point, on this cloudless day, I could see how clear the route is. Yeah, the ridgecrest fades, but just keep going up and curve to the west, and you'll quickly top out around Nesika Lodge. It was about 9F, if the lodge thermometer can be trusted.

The terrain flattened, and the snow was fluffy, so the snowshoes went on. After a bit of indecisive wandering, I decided not to hike west and come down Multnomah Creek. I had plenty of time, but if anything went wrong (like if I lost the trail in the snow and struggled to find my way) I might not be able to get back in time. So instead I went looking for the connector to the Franklin Ridge trail. Managed to follow it for the most part, although snow and blowdown made it challenging. But I kept wandering around looking for clues, and made my way to the end of the spur trail, where it meets Franklin Ridge at the little sign I found on my last trip up here (still not burried). That was a bit of fun. I like trail hunting in the snow, and this was a great challenge. It was goldilocks snow; a bit more accumulation and it might have been impossible w/o GPS.

Followed my ascent route back down to HCRH, where I decided to head over to Oneonta Gorge. Glad I did. I had no idea it was possible to hike in to the falls with dry feet in the winter. I've never been up that canyon, so this was a nice surprise. Way too rushed though. I had just barely enough time to hurry in and get out before dark. Another 10-20 minutes would have helped. Immensely frustrating, but still grateful I got in there.

As darkness fell, the time pressure was gone. I sought refuge from the ubiquitous snow in the Oneonta tunnel, where I found what I was hoping for: a bit of bare pavement, where I could sit and eat and repack without getting all snowy. Cracked open my reward beer, and it was still fluid. But once the cap was off and the pressure was gone, it started freezing. Stout Slushie! Had to drink it fast; I knew it would be a beercicle soon. I shall resolve to carry stronger beers on my future single-digit hikes.

My walk back to Multnomah was on the historic highway. I saw no point in following Trail400 back in the dark. I was cold and tired, carrying my heaviest daypack ever, all clanky and sloppy, finishing up my coldest all-day hike ever. Had to be constantly vigilant for motorists, many more than expected, mostly going east. Arrived at my car in a bit of a foul mood. Not a great day, certainly not as good as it could have been. Nobody else there, which was odd. There are usually a few folks around the bottom of the falls in the hours after sunset.

DouggieFir was in Oneonta Gorge a day behind me. His TR is recommended reading: http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... =8&t=24974
Attachments
20170115_082559.jpg
Didn't think the historic highway would be plowed. There were a few drifts that must have been about 8' high, but in most places it was more like 1'.
20170115_120521.jpg
Last time, I was able to sit here and relax a bit. No such luck today.
20170115_123900.jpg
At the lodge.
Waespe-Franklin.jpg
Arrow is the point where I gave up previously. Yellow line is a possible route from lodge to Franklin Ridge trail. Not an actual GPS track. Liberties were taken.

Chip Down

Re: Multnomah/Tr400/Cougar/Waespe/Bickel/Nesika/Franklin/One

Post by Chip Down » January 17th, 2017, 6:19 pm

Some really awful pics of Oneonta Gorge (bad camera, rushed, cold hands, fading light). And my post-hike relaxation in the tunnel.
Attachments
20170115_173709.jpg
I was expecting deep snow, so brought the dogsled.
20170115_174517.jpg
In the short time since the first pic, look at how much freezing has taken place. I slurped up the frozen top and chugged the rest.
oa.jpg
ob.jpg
oc.jpg
oe.jpg
of.jpg
og.jpg
Near the logjam.