Multnomah Falls, Jan 14th.

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Paul2

Re: Multnomah Falls, Jan 14th.

Post by Paul2 » January 18th, 2017, 12:38 pm

I bet in a heavy snow year they have to dig it out to keep a path open.
Doesn't this year qualify as a "heavy" snow year in the gorge?
It's all a matter of perspective. On the other side of the gate there are no signs at all and if they really meant it they'd post signs on that side too, right?
What signs are they supposed to put on the other side?
I've been wandering early and late, from New York City to the Golden Gate, and it don't look like I'll ever stop my wandering.
-James Taylor

Guy

Post by Guy » January 18th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Chip Down wrote:
Guy wrote:Chip, where is this tunnel? What am I missing :)
see map below (surely you've been there?)
Oh yeah, of course! For a minute there I thought you had found some super secret tunnel that I did not know about :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 18th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Doesn't this year qualify as a "heavy" snow year in the gorge?
Maybe above average, but not much. In the Multnomah/Oneonta area, for example, you'll see lots of rocks/moss/ground. For comparison, in 1999 there was snow along the HCRH into May! :shock: That was the year Mt Baker set a world record snowfall which I believe still stands, nearly 100 ft IIRC, and the Timberline trail on Hood never melted out. I bet they had a heck of a time at Multnomah Lodge figuring out what to do with all the snow they scooped up. Truck it to the river and dump it in?
For a minute there I thought you had found some super secret tunnel that I did not know about
As if I'd share that with anybody :lol:

adautremont

Post by adautremont » February 15th, 2017, 4:56 pm

I just headed to the falls to hike the shirt loop. Yes, the trail is still closed but if you have spikes you'll probably be fine, although I would definitely recommend bringing and ice ax or pole because the "trail" is not level and not well traveled. I ended up turning around because I wasn't expecting to be traversing the side of the hill that day. Good luck with it if you decide to go!