Adventure on Tanner Ridge

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Adventure on Tanner Ridge

Post by Sean Thomas » January 11th, 2017, 7:16 pm

Last Thursday I made a try for Tanner Butte via the Eagle Creek TH in the Columbia Gorge. The weather was bitterly cold but the sky was clear and the day was perfect for an epic adventure in the Cascades. Views from Mt Adams to Mt Hood were enjoyed from my turnaround point:

Imagea by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

Hardly a step of the near 20 miles covered that day was on bare ground. I brought spikes but never had to use them and was able to just boot up to Wauna Camp around 2,800 feet. Thankfully PH legend Jordan and his friend Andrew had tracked about a mile or so past Wauna and had camped the night before. Without their tracks I would have never made it too far down the ridge:

Imageb by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

Imageaaaa by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

Once over 4k the snow was several feet deep and exhausting to break trail in. It was pretty awesome to be all alone up there though :)

Imaged by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

Imageddd by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

After gassing out and floundering in the snow like a large water buffalo for a few miles I left the old road grade and climbed up to a little open spot on the ridge. The east wind was brutal after cresting the ridge but the incredible views of a frozen Hatfield Wilderness and two of the High Cascades most majestic peaks made it all worth the effort:

Imagebbb by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

Imagebbbbbb by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

Imageaaaaa by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

A windswept crust made for easier walking due to the eastern exposure:

Imageccccc by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

And the sun felt great:

Imagecccc by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

Here's a look over the Eagle Creek Canyon with Chinidere, Tomlike and even Defiance on display, all of which looked pretty stunning in their winter garb:

Imagee by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

Adams also looked beautiful as it stood in contrast to the very flat topped Benson Plateau:

Imagedddd by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

After a brief lunch on the ridge and lots of gawking at the outstanding views I took back to the woods, picked up the trail and played naturalist as I followed some bobcat tracks that had been poking around looking for rabbit. I must have circled some two dozen trees the cat had investigated looking for a winter meal:

Imagedd by Sean Lawson, on Flickr

I made the long trek back to the fish hatchery under more blue sky while admiring the sun dappled snow through the tree tops on Tanner Ridge. Part of me had contemplated trying to make the eagle-tanner loop but seeing Don's photos I'm glad I chose to save that for another day :o Escaped back to the TH just before dark and zoomed home after another unforgettable adventure in the Columbia River Gorge.

retired jerry

Re: Adventure on Tanner Ridge

Post by retired jerry » January 12th, 2017, 6:41 am

Impressive trip with all that snow.

That would be a nice spot to camp out.

pablo

Post by pablo » January 12th, 2017, 9:40 am

Thx Sean for the nice photos - looks like it was a great day. I'm not clear - did you summit Tanner Butte?

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 12th, 2017, 10:11 am

Very nice photos, Sean. Impressive hike, too! Thanks.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 12th, 2017, 11:03 am

You got a wonderful winter sun break. Amazing slog . . . I assume this was to the open point on the saddle before you get to Tanner Butte?

Limey

Post by Limey » January 12th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Great pictures Sean. Heck of a hike. Sure am glad to see you posting again, I have missed your TR's.

UTurn

Post by UTurn » January 12th, 2017, 5:03 pm

Beautiful! I always love your trip reports.

Jack

Post by Jack » January 13th, 2017, 7:41 am

Nice work Sean! Those pics are just spectacular. Thanks for the report.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » January 13th, 2017, 8:47 pm

Thanks all! I didn't make the butte(something about being saggy) but instead turned around at the spot Bobcat mentioned. It was pretty magnificent up there!

RobinB

Post by RobinB » January 15th, 2017, 11:44 pm

Nicely done, Sean! And good to see you back, posting TRs :)