Hardy Ridge sunset 12/25

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
romann

Hardy Ridge sunset 12/25

Post by romann » December 28th, 2016, 10:59 pm

I don't have enough time for a real trip report, just wanted to share conditions and some pics from Sunday outing. Hardy equestrian trailhead is open, with maybe 3-5 inches of snow, the trail/road has mostly melted out in the first 1/2 mile but after that snow starts in earnest. Was about knee deep on Hardy Ridge "pass" (I didn't go higher); other hikers I met were coming from Hamilton saddle and reported 10+ inches there. Almost no tracks up the ridge (seemed like only 1 person the day before) but snow was firm enough up there for misrospikes and I didn't posthole much. Seems to be even more snow on E side of the ridge; since it was getting dark I decided to not do a loop and return back on the same trail on west side. Watching sunset from the ridge was a real treat of the hike!

There was some snow the night before, now melting off trees

Up on ridge trail the dripping mostly ended and things were nicely frozen. Much firmer snow underfoot, now was a pleasure to walk on - not much potholing. My poles sometimes sank ~2 feet deep (in open spots); at other times (under trees) there wasn't more than a few inches of snow

I really like glow like this through the fog... kind of light I only see in winter

Got there at almost the last moment! (earlier in the hike I wasn't motivated by the fog and didn't move fast at all; it seemed there would be no view)

The clouds were constantly "flowing", running on and off ridges, like large slow-motion waves. Was very cool to just stay on viewpoint and watch.

Double-eared Dog Mtn in the distance

Nesmith Point I think (background, left center) and Larch Mtn (on the right, with patch of white at the summit)

Cape Horn. If you look closely, you can see Coast Range summits on horizon, with sun setting behind either King or Saddle Mtn, and wide Mary's Peak (?) is on the left, across the river

Hamilton

Table

Looking up Hardy Ridge

Peder

Re: Hardy Ridge sunset 12/25

Post by Peder » December 29th, 2016, 2:07 pm

Very beautiful - you have a great sense of timing!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Chase

Post by Chase » December 29th, 2016, 6:12 pm

Lots of great pics, Romann!

romann

Post by romann » December 29th, 2016, 6:26 pm

Thanks guys! Of many sunsets I've seen from Hardy, this was one of the coolest. Not sure about my sense of timing though, I think I get it wrong exactly half the time.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 30th, 2016, 8:13 am

Really incredible conditions you "endured" up there! :) We went up Wednesday, too, and probably walked in some of your bootsteps. Did you go all the way to Phlox Point? We got pretty frustrated with the post-holing, and turned around short, despite having snowshoes. (The overhanging branches just made those far more trouble than they were worth.) You were right about the east side, too. Going down there was much slower than usual, due to the depth of snow. And Boot Rock is gone, too! :o

I'll just tag a few on here, hopin' you don't mind. :)
    Clouds washing over Hamilton (lower-left) from the east.

Bah! Who needs snowshoes?

Me! I need snowshoes! LOL... This was about our turnaround point, thinking we still had time to go tag Hammy.

Google games.

Former resting spot of Boot Rock. :(

http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=6748&w=645&h=440
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

miah66

Post by miah66 » December 30th, 2016, 11:00 am

R.I.P Boot Rock. 2016 can't end soon enough!

Roman, great photos! Some real good ones from up there. I was across the river, heading up Nesmith on Weds! Taken about 1pm:

about 18-24" up there too, but melting quickly. Dripping on me the whole time in the trees.

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

romann

Post by romann » January 10th, 2017, 8:05 pm

Nice photos, Karl and Miah! Now I am back to PNW and itching to hit more trails while snow is still there :) . Strange I've been to Hardy so many times and don't remember Boot Rock...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 11th, 2017, 7:34 am

romann wrote:Nice photos, Karl and Miah! Now I am back to PNW and itching to hit more trails while snow is still there :) . Strange I've been to Hardy so many times and don't remember Boot Rock...
Thanks! Hopefully, it's just buried under the snow.
    Boot Rock
Karl
Back on the trail, again...