Tunnel Falls Wonderland of Ice

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Re: Tunnel Falls Wonderland of Ice

Post by Sean Thomas » January 6th, 2017, 10:23 pm

The legend rides again! Good to see an old fashioned loony DN TR back on the board:)

I was up on Tanner Ridge on the "false summit" just NW of the butte yesterday while you were down in the canyon. I contemplated making the loop for a real winter adventure but feared two things, the eagle creek crossing and the ice build up on EC, looks like I made the right choice! :shock: Although I'm totally jelly of those tunnel falls shots :D Way to go DN!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 6th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:The legend rides again! Good to see an old fashioned loony DN TR back on the board:)

I was up on Tanner Ridge on the "false summit" just NW of the butte yesterday while you were down in the canyon. I contemplated making the loop for a real winter adventure but feared two things, the eagle creek crossing and the ice build up on EC, looks like I made the right choice! :shock: Although I'm totally jelly of those tunnel falls shots :D Way to go DN!
Thanks for the compliments Sean! I would not be surprised if the south tunnel portal will be blocked by ice by now given the continued cold temperatures. You made a wise choice not doing that loop.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 6th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Bosterson wrote::shock:

Whoa. That's some impressive rime around Tunnel Falls. I assume you were using Microspikes - how was walking around all that ice with the dropoffs nearby and the chains frozen?
Yes, Microspikes and they worked great. This is a new pair I just broke in on Tuesday:

https://www.rei.com/product/890608/kaht ... ion-system

They are stainless and they shed snow and ice wonderfully so do not suffer from snow and ice buildup. This is by far the best thing I've ever had for these conditions. Even better than regular crampons since these work on regular light hiking boots thus providing better agility. (Falling a hundred feet into a 32.1 degree pool of ice water would have ruined my day!!!)

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 7th, 2017, 12:28 am

Your post inspired me to go looking for icicles on Friday morning. I didn't have the nerve to try Eagle Creek (no railings!) so I went to Elowah instead where I ran into kepPNW and woodswalker. (Hi again!)

By the way Hillsound Trail Crampons have longer points than Microspikes as Karl drew my attention to when he asked how I liked mine. (Fine, but without anything to compare to.) Did you choose Microspikes over these?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 7th, 2017, 6:15 am

and you could walk from the Eagle Creek trailhead, through the freezing rain, to Cascade Locks :)

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 7th, 2017, 8:02 am

Webfoot wrote:Your post inspired me to go looking for icicles on Friday morning. I didn't have the nerve to try Eagle Creek (no railings!) so I went to Elowah instead where I ran into kepPNW and woodswalker. (Hi again!)

By the way Hillsound Trail Crampons have longer points than Microspikes as Karl drew my attention to when he asked how I liked mine. (Fine, but without anything to compare to.) Did you choose Microspikes over these?
It was great running into you Webfoot! Kep and I went over to EC after Elowah and saw Don Nelson. So great to meet both you and Don out in winter wonderland.

Guy

Post by Guy » January 7th, 2017, 8:49 am

Fantastic Photos Don, well done!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 7th, 2017, 8:54 am

woodswalker wrote:
Webfoot wrote:Your post inspired me to go looking for icicles on Friday morning. I didn't have the nerve to try Eagle Creek (no railings!) so I went to Elowah instead where I ran into kepPNW and woodswalker. (Hi again!)
It was great running into you Webfoot! Kep and I went over to EC after Elowah and saw Don Nelson. So great to meet both you and Don out in winter wonderland.
Fun to meet up there, as we crossed trails, Webfoot! What a great day to be in the Gorge! :D Wish my camera had been more cooperative, but I guess 24° was asking a lot? Did (finally!) manage to squeeze this one off...
20170106_6702_sm.jpg
me, woodswalker, and Webfoot
Still kicking myself for not thinking to try a buddy shot with Don up there!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 7th, 2017, 10:45 am

Amazing, Don! That Vertigo Mile shot looks... daunting! :? :shock: :o

Thanks for sharing!

Tom :)

BigBear

Post by BigBear » January 7th, 2017, 11:34 am

Thank you for sharing. Nice pictures. Glad it was you on that ice and not me :)